Re: Optimize Booting

From: Mithaz (
Date: 08/31/03

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:58:47 -0500

"Eternally" <> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
> I'm building a Linux Car MP3 player on an old P100 with 32 mb of ram.
> got a debian distro on there, and got it to the point where it boots into
> command prompt. However, booting is kind of slow as it is loading a bunch
> of services which I'm sure I don't need. For instance, it's loading up
> and PS/2 support, when I don't have USB or PS/2 ports on the machine. And
> it's checking for new hardware, which isn't necessary for me in this case.
> Plus, I think it's loading a few servers.
> How do I change the boot process so that it's lean and mean. All I want
> to do is bring me to a command prompt and have the ability to run mpg123
> play mp3's and also send commands to the parallel port (through a program
> which I will write). Security is not a concern. I just want lean and
> As quick of a boot as possible.
> How do I set this up?
> Thanks in advance!

I did this using redhat 7.3 on an old laptop celeron / 6 gig /network
/serial port got about 25 seconds till the sound appears

phase 1)
-> modify grub or lilo for no wait at boot
-> edit /etc/rc.sysinit - remove all the usb , keyboard, stuff ,
-> disable all the services except syslog, networking and (obviously) sound.
        make sure you remove all additional services (httpd,sendmail. ..
yada yada)

phase 2)
 -> recompile kernel, include ext3, sound and network driver,
 -> install kernel without the ramdrive

I used serial port instead of parallel port. use a RS 323 cable to open a
console and ethernet to download music. Sometime in future I will probably
switch to a telnet based system and use serial for a external remote remote
control interface.

this link was very helpful.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: very puzzling!!
    ... and after the command prompt ... So I did last known good configuration at boot. ... WinXP Pro inc Sp2 ... Also, UBCD4Win should come with some antivirus capability, perhaps ...
  • Sasser question
    ... Update:Safe boot with command prompt also fails within ... >>If your computer resets before accessing Windows ... >>to your BIOS manual to determine how to boot into safe ...
  • Re: how to boot an os image on a cepc from a hard disk drive
    ... the menu 'Boot CE/PC ' and your image should be loaded. ... command prompt and take a look at the /L: ... I would like to stor NK.bin in the hard disk so ... > "Oliver Münchow" ha scritto nel messaggio ...
  • Re: can you do a reg restore from a command prompt?
    ... Why can't you boot to normal mode? ... > hmmm,well when i tried to boot to safe w/ command prompt, i still got the ... >> That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. ... >>>i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to ...
  • 6.0 panics on boot
    ... panic, Fatal trap 12, page fault at the NVidea driver in the boot. ... pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 ... fdc0: port ...