Re: Optimize Booting

From: Mithaz (abinayshunyashynyaek_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/31/03

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:58:47 -0500

"Eternally" <m@r.com> wrote in message
news:mTs4b.15118$yG2.13610@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm building a Linux Car MP3 player on an old P100 with 32 mb of ram.
I've
> got a debian distro on there, and got it to the point where it boots into
> command prompt. However, booting is kind of slow as it is loading a bunch
> of services which I'm sure I don't need. For instance, it's loading up
USB
> and PS/2 support, when I don't have USB or PS/2 ports on the machine. And
> it's checking for new hardware, which isn't necessary for me in this case.
> Plus, I think it's loading a few servers.
>
> How do I change the boot process so that it's lean and mean. All I want
it
> to do is bring me to a command prompt and have the ability to run mpg123
> play mp3's and also send commands to the parallel port (through a program
> which I will write). Security is not a concern. I just want lean and
mean.
> As quick of a boot as possible.
>
> How do I set this up?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I did this using redhat 7.3 on an old laptop celeron / 6 gig /network
/serial port got about 25 seconds till the sound appears

phase 1)
-> modify grub or lilo for no wait at boot
-> edit /etc/rc.sysinit - remove all the usb , keyboard, stuff ,
-> disable all the services except syslog, networking and (obviously) sound.
        make sure you remove all additional services (httpd,sendmail. ..
yada yada)

phase 2)
 -> recompile kernel, include ext3, sound and network driver,
 -> install kernel without the ramdrive

I used serial port instead of parallel port. use a RS 323 cable to open a
console and ethernet to download music. Sometime in future I will probably
switch to a telnet based system and use serial for a external remote remote
control interface.

this link was very helpful.
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/mp3.html

HTH