Re: to RPM or not?

From: Cyber Trekker (not_here_at_cyberia.net)
Date: 09/12/03

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:51:50 GMT

Crashdamage wrote:

> But rpms work much better if you use Mandrake's urpmi. Once you have
> your download mirrors setup in urpmi, it works about like Debian's
> apt-get. You just type:
>
> #urpmi -v <package>

Or install the Mandrake urpmi.setup RPM and type urpmi.setup at a
commandline to get a GUI-based way to configure mirrors and perform all
normal urpmi tasks.

> Mandrake doesn't get the credit for urpmi it should, it's really a
> terrific, if not quite perfect, tool and I think it makes Mandrake the
> best of all the rpm-based distros.

I wholeheartedly agree with your expressed sentiments that Mandrake doesn't
receive enough credit for urpmi. It's no wonder, though, as many don't
even know about it. But even those who are aware of it don't always give
it enough support, unless they're avid users of it.

> But bottom line, no matter what system you use, sometimes installing can
> be a hassle...

Yes, even with apt-get, as apt-get is'nt perfect either.

Cheers

CT

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how do i install a program?
    ... Just open the Mandrake Control Center ... urpmi tutorial: ... urpmi - the Mandrake package handler. ... and install everything in the correct order. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: how do i install a binary program?
    ... I'm also using mandrake, but I think it's 9.2 or something ... urpmi - the Mandrake package handler. ... and install everything in the correct order. ... Be aware that while using RPMs compiled for other versions of Mandrake ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: how do i install a binary program?
    ... I'm also using mandrake, but I think it's 9.2 or something ... > it's very easy to use urpmi from the command line. ... > and install everything in the correct order. ... > Be aware that while using RPMs compiled for other versions of Mandrake ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: SATA
    ... I as well have this problem, using SATA for XP and ATA for mandrake, but I ... am a newbie and the "you can simply install an updated kernel through urpmi ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: to RPM or not?
    ... >> But rpms work much better if you use Mandrake's urpmi. ... >> your download mirrors setup in urpmi, ... >> terrific, if not quite perfect, tool and I think it makes Mandrake the ...
    (alt.os.linux)