Xlib:XFree86-DRI missing error-Unable to play Tuxracer

From: SRIKANTH NS (nssrikanth_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:23:01 +0530

Hi All

I have RH9 on my Celeron 900MHz , 128MB RAM, i815e MOBO PC.

In this I am unable to play TUXRACER. I am pasting the error message:

Tux Racer 0.61 -- a Sunspire Studios Production
(c) 1999-2000 Jasmin F. Patry <jfpatry@sunspirestudios.com>
"Tux Racer" is a trademark of Jasmin F. Patry
Tux Racer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

If I try to play chromium also same error message comes.

I had some problems with my X display about 20 days back which was corrected
after doing "fsck " on the root file system and re-installing XFree86 from
First CD of RH9.
I am pasting below my XF86Config file:

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier "Default Layout"
 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
 InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

 RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
 FontPath "unix/:7100"

Section "Module"
 Load "dbe"
 Load "extmod"
 Load "fbdevhw"
 Load "glx"
 Load "record"
 Load "freetype"
 Load "type1"
 Load "dri"

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
 Identifier "Keyboard0"
 Driver "keyboard"
 Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
 Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
 Option "XkbLayout" "us"

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Mouse0"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
 Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
 Identifier "DevInputMice"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Monitor0"
 VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName "DDCPROBED"
 DisplaySize 280 210
 HorizSync 30.0 - 55.0
 VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
 Option "dpms"

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Videocard0"
 Driver "i810"
 VendorName "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName "Intel 815"

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device "Videocard0"
 Monitor "Monitor0"
 DefaultDepth 24
 SubSection "Display"
  Depth 24
  Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Section "DRI"
 Group 0
 Mode 0666

I had commented out all the entries under section "Modules" and section
"DRI" when I had the X problem. That did not solve the problem, reinstalling
XFree86 did.

Now I have uncommented them as you can see.

But why the error message keeps coming ? In fact during my earlier
installation of RH9 in he same m/c , I could play Chromium with an FPS of 47
to 50, now it is crawling.
Can anybody help out in this?

Relevant Pages