Re: Moving Linux to another hard drive

From: Bob Tennent (BobT_at_cs.queensu.ca)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: 3 Oct 2003 11:48:29 GMT

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:11:13 GMT, Ori wrote:

>> I currently have Slackware 9.0 installed on my 4.3GB. It's
>> basically a 4GB ext3 partition for '/' and a 300MB swap. I want to
>> move it over to a 30GB hard drive. Is there anything equivalent to
>> Norton Ghost for Linux? The 30GB will probably be partitioned as 27GB
>> for '/' (/dev/hda1) and 300MB for swap (/dev/hda2).
>>
> Can't you just plug it in a master/slave arrangement (temporarily, at
> least) and do a cp -Rp /* /where/you/mounted/the/second/hdd

Yes, but it should be cp -a (or cp -Rpd ) in case there are symbolic
links. And the new partition must first be set up with a file system
using mkfs. The OP might also want to create a separate /boot partition
at the beginning of the drive in case the BIOS can't access all of
the large partition. After the copy is made, edit /etc/fstab and
/etc/lilo.conf on the new drive and chroot to the new drive to run lilo
(or equivalent).

Bob T.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Writing File System Driver & Creating Virtual Disk Drive in Windows XP [Question by a Novice
    ... strange partition it should be safe, but having a backup of it would be a ... virtual disk, but this is quite dodgy - if you make a mistake here (and ... He needs a file system. ... ***How to show partitions in windows explorer? ...
  • (no subject)
    ... FAT32 XP partition is OK and I can boot XP, ... Cannot find file system superblock ... /dev/ad0s2e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM. ... GEOM: new disk ad0 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • fsck: CANNOT SEEK BLK: -1 (after changing the mainboard)
    ... FAT32 XP partition is OK and I can boot XP, ... Cannot find file system superblock ... /dev/ad0s2e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM. ... GEOM: new disk ad0 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Is FAT32 format gone?
    ... is nolimit> to partition size re FAT32-formatted partitions. ... FAT32 file system in a WinXPenvironment,> he or she can do ... Disk> Management utility, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: interesting drive problem
    ... >>another computer's CD drive or by getting the install files from the ... >>Keep in mind that the file system you select may be an issue. ... I, too, have had issues with Red Hat's partition program, and I ... In the wake of the controversy over Red Hat Fedora, ...
    (alt.linux)