Re: USB Modem Detection

From: Leon The Peon (noemail_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 10/20/03

    Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:12:12 +1000

    "Barrie Smart" <bsmart@austarnet.com.au> wrote in message
    news:bmtevo$uoo$1@austar-news.austar.net.au...
    > I assume this question maty have been put and answered previously, but
    > as a newbie can I ask it again please? I have a 2.0Ghz P4, with USB
    > modem. Attempting to load Mandrake 9, I can't get it to identify that I
    > have a USB modem attached to the machine. It keeps saying that it can't
    > detect the modem, and I use each default setting in turn without
    > success. Can anyone tell me how I can get access to the 'Net with a USB
    > modem using Mandrake 9 please?

    The newbie wont realise that USB modems are often like "winmodems" - they
    require a driver.

    If its a full modem that uses ACM protocol, then it will need the usb-acm
    module loaded.

    otherwise, you have to identify the guts of your modem and find a linux
    driver for it.
    eg www.linmodem.org has some info on usb winmodems for linux

    • Re: Communicating with USB Modem
      ... Support), and Linux ... (They show a USB modem on page 5, ... the sl-modem drivers. ... is by using a RS-232 modem. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How to share ADSL USB modem over a LAN through a Linux server?
      ... USB modem (SpeedTouch 330) and I had my computer connected. ... a another pc, on linux, which i wish to use to share my connection to ... One problem you may have is getting linux drivers for your USB DSL modem. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Is Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB (DE5671 Model) dial-up modem supported in Linux?
      ... to see an old Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB dial-up ... A "real" hardware USB modem would ... while the Linmodem driver would create some device. ... Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and apparently it worked with no problem. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: using ppp reboots machine
      ... I connect to internet using ThomsonSpeedtouch USB modem. ... This is not part of freebsd so don't complain here if it doesn't work. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: USB modem for use w/ gOS Rocket Linux
      ... they use gOS Rocket Linux which appears to be a Ubuntu variant. ... have occasional need of dialup connection, but the machine doesn't have a ... native modem. ... Can someone suggest a USB modem that will work with Linux and be small and ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)