Re: USB Modem Detection

From: Leon The Peon (noemail_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 10/20/03

    Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:12:12 +1000

    "Barrie Smart" <bsmart@austarnet.com.au> wrote in message
    news:bmtevo$uoo$1@austar-news.austar.net.au...
    > I assume this question maty have been put and answered previously, but
    > as a newbie can I ask it again please? I have a 2.0Ghz P4, with USB
    > modem. Attempting to load Mandrake 9, I can't get it to identify that I
    > have a USB modem attached to the machine. It keeps saying that it can't
    > detect the modem, and I use each default setting in turn without
    > success. Can anyone tell me how I can get access to the 'Net with a USB
    > modem using Mandrake 9 please?

    The newbie wont realise that USB modems are often like "winmodems" - they
    require a driver.

    If its a full modem that uses ACM protocol, then it will need the usb-acm
    module loaded.

    otherwise, you have to identify the guts of your modem and find a linux
    driver for it.
    eg www.linmodem.org has some info on usb winmodems for linux