Re: networking

jstaff47_at_earthlink.net
Date: 10/27/03

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:19:35 GMT

I can view the workgroups on the winxp machine but when I try to open the
[Samba] I get not accessable or don't have permission

> Is your smb.conf specific? For example:
>
> [music]
> path= /data/mp3 <-is this really /data/mp3 or /home/jstaff/data/mp3 ?
> browseable = yes <- prefer to use "public = yes" write list = jsnew, js
> <- prefer to use "valid users = jsnew jstaff js" writeable = yes <- prefer
>
> {everyone]
> path = /data/everyone
> read only = no
> printable = no <- prefer
> browseable = yes <- "public = yes"

I went through that again as per your suggestions and made changes so I
think it is specific.

> FYI, my network is RH8 and XP Home, RH8 provide X server, FTP, file,
> Telnet and DVD player services to XP home, XP Home provides print and ICS
> service to the RH8.

That is pretty much what I am shooting for on the XP machine I have
printers, scanner, dvd player, digital camera etc.

> Because you have dialup on both machines I don't think you need ICS. The
> 169.x.x.x address maybe a vpn tunnel to your ISP.
>
> Now you need to check which services are running on the RH9 machine.
> Here's where you can use loopback.
> On the RH9 machine:
> Telnet 127.0.0.1
> FTP 127.0.0.1

All I get is failure to connect for both telnet and ftp I have gFTP
installed.

> If those didn't work then you need to check the WU-FTP and Telnet server
> packages are installed on your RH8 by Package Manager in Nautilus,
> Kpackage in KDE or rpm -q telnet wuftp. The check the services are
> started with "Server Settings", "Services" in Nautilus or "sudo service
> --status-all | more". If they worked then look at security and for Samba
> that includes "sudo smbpasswd" and "sudo smbadduser" for the XP Home box.

returns telnet-0.17-25 and ftp-0.17-17
Some of the things you suggest with sudo work straight out but others won't
work no matter what I try.

> The sudo service command will also list your iptables so you can check to
> make sure you allow FTP, Telnet, and Netbios stuff. If you used the basic
> RH-Lokkit or haven't used anything then that is good.

what is the command for checking iptables?

> The other item to update is /etc/hosts.allow where you add the ip address
> and name of the XP home machine, a simple ALL: 192.168.0. should work.

Ok did that!

> You'll need to use sudo to display, edit and execute some commands and
> work on files in the /etc directory.
>
> There aren't Telnet, FTP, DNS server services in XP Home. You don't need
> those anyway if you're using Samba.
>
> HTH

Thanks very much for all that you offered here. I have tried to go through
it as best as I can but I am fading fast and will have another go at it in
the morning
thanks
again
joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New member introduction
    ... Bloody Brilliant advice, I never knew you could do that with FTP, ... >to telnet in to the box. ... >250 Command CHGSYSVAL QAUTOVRT *NOMAX successful. ... >You could even run the PWRDWNSYS *IMMED command from here if required. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)
  • Re: firewalls and computer securi
    ... >So...I shouldn't be using ftp and telnet, but ssh and sftpinstead, ... what ssh is and won't go through the trouble of finding out. ... I had a high school ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server
    ... >& telnet (as long as telnet server is activated in inetd. ... would try to catch any messages for the two FTP ports. ... There is another network that also runs ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Redhat Linux 9
    ... I also use Telnet, FTP and Samba. ... still log in from the console as Root. ... OOPS chdir Login failed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • [Full-disclosure] Fwd: [CASE:12632] Warning: BrailleNote Apex Offers Read/Write FTP And Telnet A
    ... Read/Write FTP And Telnet Access To All Comers ... Subject: Warning: BrailleNote Apex Offers Read/Write ...  In a chance port scan of my entire network ...
    (Full-Disclosure)