SuSE and NROFF

From: Joe Cipale (joec_at_aracnet.com)
Date: 11/02/03

Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:41:21 -0800

For an application I am creating, I am generating nroff/troff/ditroff
files. For those of no Unix experieince, n/t/ditroff formats are
similar in scope to HTML. They are passed through an engine that process
the document. ANy whoo...

WHen I generate a table that is longer than a single page, I get the
error message that I must use .TS H/.TH in order to have the table span
over multiple pages. When I incorporate this into my code to generate
the page, The page title is printed, then the printer spits out a blank
page before processing the remainder of the table. The table is then
truncated and cut-off.

Sadly, it has been too many years of working in the darkside (i.e M$) to
remember all of the n/troff commands. Are there any former Unix geeks
out there who remember the Unix command to process tables within
nroff/troff? My current command sequence is this:
% tbl <file_name> | nroff > lpr -Pprinter1

Thanks in advance,

--
#----------------------------------------------------------#
#                   Penguinix Consulting                   #

Relevant Pages

  • SuSE and NROFF
    ... For an application I am creating, I am generating nroff/troff/ditroff ... For those of no Unix experieince, ... the page, The page title is printed, then the printer spits out a blank ... My current command sequence is this: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: vi horizontal split screen
    ... Command line recall and edit, which I had on DOS, was worth the price of admission by itself. ... The script language was designed to look like C for the benefit of C programmers working on *nix, but you still needed to know Bourne syntax, because all the scripts that controlled Unix itself were in the Bourne shell language. ... Emacs is not it. ... The default Emacs keystrokes have the same basic characteristic as the default vi keystrokes and the default WordStar command set: they are keyboard independent. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: Sarahs very sad...
    ... There is a core of a Unix OS in the foundations, ... It is a considerable wrench going from a GUI to a program whose interface ... Linux or Unix system without ever seeing a command line or a config file ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Data conversion EBCDIC to ASCII
    ... When you enter the omvs command, you are placed into UNIX; ... Data conversion EBCDIC to ASCII ... window into a text editor on your workstation ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Design question for a UNIX facility similar to TSO SEND command
    ... The TSO SEND command can send a message from one TSO user to another TSO ... This works even if the two users are on different z/OS images, ... I'm trying to think of a way to extend this to UNIX shell ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)