Re: About the GPL

From: dom (dcurran_at_ti.com)
Date: 11/08/03

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:43:04 -0600

I would suggest you read this...
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html
While a little long, it will explain the GPL, and the LGPL which is
important to understand if you are linking your code against the GNU C
library.

"LoneHorseMan" <lonehorseman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is it possible to create commercial applications for the Linux Platform ?
>
> I mean, the company where I work is investigating the possibility to port
> our work on the linux platform - but after reading the GNU GPL license
> terms, we understand that if we use GPL-licensed code in our work, whe
have
> to make our own work GPL'ed too, which is not good for us :-(
>
> So, for instance, if we use the GCC compiler, is the software compiled for
> it will be GPL'ed too?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: About the GPL
    ... > Is it possible to create commercial applications for the Linux Platform? ... abide by the GPL licence. ... The GPL for the GCC compiler only applies to the code that implements ... The licence for the GCC compiler would apply /if/ you ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: About the GPL
    ... > Is it possible to create commercial applications for the Linux Platform? ... > our work on the linux platform - but after reading the GNU GPL license ... > So, for instance, if we use the GCC compiler, is the software compiled for ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: About the GPL
    ... On 2003-11-07, LoneHorseMan wrote: ... > Is it possible to create commercial applications for the Linux Platform? ... You can write code and not publish it under GPL. ...
    (alt.os.linux)