Re: It's simple...

From: Joachim Feise (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 12/10/03

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:11:40 -0800

John Hasler wrote:

> Sybren Stüvel writes:
>

>>Q: God, root, what is difference?
>>A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.
>

> Unless he's running a MIPS machine...

Or a PowerPC. Or an IA-64.
From
<http://developers.sun.com/solaris/developer/support/driver/wps/endianness/files/c0105.html>
"MIPS was originally a big-endian architecture; MIPS added
little-endian support to induce DEC, with a little-endian
legacy, to adopt MIPS processors for its desktop systems.
IBM had a big-endian legacy on its workstation and server
systems and a little-endian legacy on its x86 based personal
computers and wanted to support both with the PowerPC
architecture. The IA-64 architecture resulted from a
collaboration between Intel, with a little-endian legacy, and
Hewlett Packard with a big-endian legacy on its workstations,
so it, too, supports both."

-Joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... No it is not a reason to change, in fact, I find it to be fairly ... architecture is not a good one so that newbies would be much better ... It is a MIPS micro. ... But still for me the ARM was the better architecture - I had a project ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: mips and concurrency/simultaneous running tasks
    ... Scott Keogh wrote: ... > I was wondering if anyone can help me as im new to the mips architecture. ... architecture and minimal instruction set. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... on the famous MIPS architecture. ... Paul, I was wondering, too, because I like the ARM micro and I ... that leaves the PIC32 out entirely! ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: History of byte addressing
    ... IBM and Motorola still document the most significant bit ... to MIPS, PDP11s and VAXen, and others. ... MIPS, like a number of other RISC CPUs, is bi-endian. ... it was used as little-endian CPU. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: [Patch 01/12] Prepare the code for Hardware Breakpoint interfaces
    ... * Available values vary according to the architecture. ... I question weather having all these symbols for lengths is the proper approach. ... If we were to use a debug agent hooked into the MIPS EJTAG debugger ... in the arch-specific files and I don't see any part of the generic ...
    (Linux-Kernel)