Re: X-Windows Crashes on Newbie

From: Sybren Stüvel (sybrenUSE_at_YOURthirdtower.imagination.com)
Date: 12/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:57:44 +0100

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:00:16 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

> IMHO followups are bad, as the persons who replys may not subscribe to
> the newsgroup where the followup is sett to and then can't follow the
> discussion.

Which is exactly why someone should not crosspost in the first place.

Crossposting without setting a Followup-To header is in contrast to
RFC1855 and is usually concidered bad netiquette. I see it as shouting
your order aloud in a restaurant just to make sure the waiters heard it.
It does work, but the other people won't be really happy with you, and
just ordering the usual way will get you your food as well.

> RedHat 9 do not use Gnome, it uses Gnome2, those two desktop
> environments do not have much more in common than the 5 first characters
> are the same.

I disagree. Gnome2 and Gnome1 are both Gnome, just as Guinness and
Heineken are both beer. From both, I really like the former and I use the
latter if there really isn't any other alternative.

Sybren

--
(o_   Q: God, root, what is difference?
//\   A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.