Re: Linux newbie wants to try Suns' OS

From: Ralph (not_at_chance.org)
Date: 02/02/04

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:59:05 GMT

Richard Steiner wrote:

> Here in alt.os.linux,
> com2repair@yahoo.com (Carlos Gomez) spake unto us, saying:
>
>>I'm a Microsoft user. I live and breathe Microsoft technologies.
>
> It's a wonder you're still alive. :-)
>
> Unified macro languages are uncommon. Microsoft is able to provide
> such a tool because it's a single entity, and as such has the power
> to encourage its usage.

The problem with a one size fits all solution is, one size never fits all.
In other words, having only one solution means it will not fit all the
needs a user can have.

> In the Linux world, there are a large number of tools available for
> various things. It provides flexibility, but it also increases the
> learning curve.

It also means that you have languages that best meet the needs.

bash for very simple scripting of command line arguments

PHP for web based pages

Perl for more advacned scripting and web authoring...

I would not want to use PHP to write a cron script to move files and I would
not want to use bash to write a web page.

> If you seriously want to use Linux effectively, you need to accept
> the fact that it won't be a drop-in replacement for Windows.

Thank god! Windows hides the power of the computer from the user and there
is easy way to get past that. Linux puts the power in the hands of the
user.

> That means learning new things.
>
> If you aren't willing to learn, I'd suggest you not even start. All
> you'll do is frustrate yourself.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Q832894 - Causes SSL problems
    ... If the post by IBTerry in the thread in the link below fits ... your bill, it looks like Microsoft is aware of this problem with ... Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak)
  • Re: java script issue
    ... You already have the answer to your question "enable Javascript" on your PC. ... should see radio buttons marked as Scripting-Active Scripting and the enable ... 'Enable Java Script'. ... legal dispute directed at Microsoft. ...
  • Re: Some News from Microsoft
    ... Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service. ... My name is Milind and I am a Customer Service Representative. ... Now, though the scripting will be disabled, Microsoft might introduce ... when really there's just a flaw in the beta. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress.stationery)
  • Re: AU & BITS services to run Windows update
    ... > to Windows Update page, I don't see any added value with this practice. ... Microsoft have now consolidated those two by introducing WU version 5 ... file downloads). ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: XP Sp2 Build #
    ... August Release to Microsoft Download Center (network ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ... >>> to the inevitable question: where did you get what you apparently ... >> It's been released to MSDN subscribers as well as the beta testers ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)