Help please: flash player not working with new install

From: Sooky Grumper (sookygrumper_at_fishies_.com)
Date: 02/06/04

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:07:01 +0800

Hi all,

I've just rearranged my hard drives and installed fedora core 1. In the
process of bringing the system up to date, I installed mozilla 1.6 into
/usr/local/mozilla-1.6/mozilla/ (it made the 'mozilla' directory at the
end during installation). Everything worked well. I copied my old
.mozilla directory from my backup into my home directory. No problems
there. I installed the j2re and made the symlinks to the plugins, again,
without problems. Then I downloaded the flash player and followed the
instructions from macromedia:

1. as a user download the installer and save it to your desktop.
2. unpack it
3. use the installer program to install.

Simple enough. The installer prgram placed the two files for the flash
plugin in .mozilla/plugins. It instructed me to have the system
administrator remove the xpti.dat file from
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/components, which I did, as well as from the
/usr/local/mozilla-1.6/mozilla/components directory.

Then I started up mozilla, and had a look in 'about plugins'. The java
plugin is there, but no flash plugin. So I went to a page with a flash game:

http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm

(which is a pretty funny site, too) and mozilla sent me back to
macromedia to download the plugin.

I then proceeded to su -l and install it again, this time it asked for
the installation directory and I gave it /usr/local/mozilla-1.6/mozilla
and all was well: it put the two files in the plugins folder there. It
did not instruct me to remove xpti.dat this time. Restarted mozilla,
checked for the flash plugin in 'about plugins' and it wasn't there.
Went back to the site I went to before, and it sent me back to macromedia.

Can anyone help me out here? Google groups located one person who had a
solution: install the .rpm. I neither want, nor should I have, to do
that, as this has worked in the past.

I started mozilla 1.6 from the command prompt as root (su -l) and the
following popped up:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/local/mozilla-1.6/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
[libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory]

Being a newbie, I'm not sure what to make of this...

thanks