Re: The Linux Journal

From: Rob Strover (dislexic_wobmat_at_NOSPAMyahoo.com.invalid)
Date: 02/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:35:17 GMT

"Roger Johansson" <no-email@home.se> wrote in message
news:12171msgbwehm$.l9ds56s00ysd.dlg@40tude.net...
> Are there any linux e-zines, or web sites, which try to comment on the
> development of Linux?

There certainly are some useful magazines, some of which have a good online
presence:

Linux Journal http://www.linuxjournal.com/
Linux Magazine - Magazine for Advanced Linux Know-How
http://www.linux-magazine.com/
Linux Magazine Open Source. Open Standards. http://www.linuxmagazine.com/

> A lot of distros means that a lot of people are trying to create new
> versions of linux, but are some people trying to tie it together again
> also? Trying to create standards, like standardisation of the setup
> program, user defined system colors, etc..

There are groups such as freedesktop.org which tries to get all major GUI
desktop developers to adopt a common approach to developing the different
desktops via the use of a common application programming interface (API).
Thus one developer's code could work under different desktops and adopt the
local desktop conventions without code change - at least that's how I
understand the idea. To date, I believe that at least both GNOME and KDE
have adopted many freedesktop ideas in their latest releases.

> Ideas like a system color scheme which most of the programs use are often
> seen as microsoft ideas and are not implemented in linux.
[..]
[..]
See the comment above - this approach is the reason for the freedsktop.org's
existance.

> For video card setup in linux there should be a program which can test
> different resolutions and, based on feedback from the user, set up a
> configuration in the linux system.

Under Mandrake at least, I've not found any *major* problems with the
configuration software (MCC GUI front-end) in this regard. During
installation, the video issues were well handled. With the 9.0
installation, my mouse wasn't recognised correctly, so no mouse available
during installation - a real PITA, but I was certainly able to complete
install processes with keyboard only. At the edn of installtion process, a
chance was given to alter mouse characteristics and, when x-windows finallly
started after reboot the mouse was correctly setup.

> For handling compiling and installing there should be a program which
tells
> you how many cource code packages you have in the directory system.
> The program should give possibilities to compile or install any selected,
> and keep catalogs of source code, compiled code, executable programs,
etc..
> Buttons for cleaning up in different ways.

Under Mandrake Linux some of these areas *appear* to be, at least partially,
covered. I'm not experienced in source code handling so someone else will
have a better idea than me of the current state of play with this area.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedora3 Linux CD cant boot up for installation after burning
    ... I burn lots of music CDs and movie DVDs. ... published a new magazine, "Maximum Linux" and I subscribed right away. ... Now most CD players for the car play mp3 CDs anyway so as cool as it ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Best Linux Magazine?
    ... Linux business ... really cool stuff so they decided to do a "Maximum Linux" Magazine. ... ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com ... Put "messageforohmster" in message body ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: The Linux Journal
    ... > Are there any linux e-zines, or web sites, which try to comment on the ... Linux Magazine - Magazine for Advanced Linux Know-How ... Trying to create standards, ... installation, the video issues were well handled. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Linux help request OT
    ... Its fairly easy in my experience to get RPCEmu running on Linux. ... without actually installing them on the PC. ... magazine also gives info on how to do this sort of thing. ... Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: INDIA: About LINUX For You January 2004 (fwd)
    ... costs very less to buy the magazine at the news-stand(The cover price ... > Below are the details of the LINUX For You, ... > web-scripting language, PHP. ... > For the benefit of our readers we have also increased the number of CDs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)