OMG! RedHat 9 is sooooooo slow...

From: Linux Lover (linuxlover992000_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/13/04

Date: 13 Feb 2004 10:23:01 -0800

I have been running Linux since 1995, so please understand that I am
not trying to defame Linux or anything. I am a true Linux fan.

However, I recently installed RedHat 9 on a PII 400MHz machine with
512MB RAM and I could immediately notice a HUGE difference in
performance between it and Windows 2000 or even RedHat 6.2.

I am talking about something as simple as starting up Mozilla.
Starting up the same exact version of Mozilla on Windows 2000 is MUCH
faster (at least 10X-20X).

Why is that?

Please don't tell me that I need to re-compile the kernel (although I
very well know how to do that as I have done so countless times since
1995). Windows 2000 does not require me to recompile the kernel in
order to run at a REASONABLE speed. RedHat 6.2, too, does not require
me to recompile the kernel in order to run at a REASONABLE speed.
(same exact PC!)

So, what is going on?

I started noticing this performance degradation trend since RehHat 7.x
and yes, I tried this Mozilla run I described above using KDE, GNOME
and TWM. All 3 give similar unbearable performance.

Is Linux deteriorating or is it only RedHat?

Lynn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... video drivers have nothing to do with the kernel. ... Scientific Linux distribution 4.2 in this case, not the kernel. ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: supported kernel versions by gcc 3.3.3
    ... But actually iam looking for all (RedHat linux versions) and their specific ... The executables we give are compiled with gcc 2.96 (for RedHat). ... Customers may use different Redhat linux versions and with different kernel ...
    (RedHat)