OMG! RedHat 9 is sooooooo slow...

From: Linux Lover (linuxlover992000_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/13/04

Date: 13 Feb 2004 10:23:01 -0800

I have been running Linux since 1995, so please understand that I am
not trying to defame Linux or anything. I am a true Linux fan.

However, I recently installed RedHat 9 on a PII 400MHz machine with
512MB RAM and I could immediately notice a HUGE difference in
performance between it and Windows 2000 or even RedHat 6.2.

I am talking about something as simple as starting up Mozilla.
Starting up the same exact version of Mozilla on Windows 2000 is MUCH
faster (at least 10X-20X).

Why is that?

Please don't tell me that I need to re-compile the kernel (although I
very well know how to do that as I have done so countless times since
1995). Windows 2000 does not require me to recompile the kernel in
order to run at a REASONABLE speed. RedHat 6.2, too, does not require
me to recompile the kernel in order to run at a REASONABLE speed.
(same exact PC!)

So, what is going on?

I started noticing this performance degradation trend since RehHat 7.x
and yes, I tried this Mozilla run I described above using KDE, GNOME
and TWM. All 3 give similar unbearable performance.

Is Linux deteriorating or is it only RedHat?

Lynn