Re: Bootable CD?

From: Richard Steiner (rsteiner_at_visi.com)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:06:16 -0600

Here in alt.os.linux, "Pango" <fotterst@broadpark.no> spake unto us, saying:

>If i have a .img-file which i can write to a floppy disk and boot from, how
>can i use the same file to create a bootable CD?

You can probably take advantage of the "El Torito" standard that many
(if not most) IDE CD-ROM drives seem to support.

For more information, see this web site:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

It looks like some CD burning packages under Linux make it relatively
simple to use an existing floppy image to create an El Torito bootable
CD -- just check the "make bootable CD" box (or something with a fairly
similar name <g>) and point the program at the appropriate image file.

The details will probably vary from program to program.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: Is my signature OTT?
    ... Ben Measures spake unto us, saying: ... or whether Jack just got out on the wrong side of bed. ... See web site above for resume/CV and background. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Primary Differences: FreeBSD/Linux
    ... Imad Hussain spake unto us, saying: ... HTH. ... See web site above for resume/CV and background. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Linux blows for any type of serious digital audio work.
    ... Sander deWaal spake unto us, saying: ... See web site above for resume/CV and background. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: DDOS attack Microsoft
    ... Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Leythos spake unto us, saying: ... If one sticks to existing standards and consciously provide some of the ... See web site in my signature for current resume and background. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OT: [stimulus spending]
    ... not saying this to put you down but to help. ... Engineers often do not make the decision to pull in a consultant. ... Why is it that my web site generates frequent ... guy to do a snow job on customers and potential customers. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)