How to disable screen blanking

From: Marc Greene (dontsendme_at_anyemail.ath.cx)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: 25 Mar 2004 17:16:13 -0800

I can't seem to stop my screen from blanking. I've tried to research this
issue, and the things I've tried so far are:

disable all power management in the bios and the kernel config
comment out '#Option "DPMS"' in XF86Config
xset s 0 0
xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms
setterm -blank 0
setterm -powersave off
setterm -powerdown 0

xset q shows:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking: no allow exposures: no
  timeout: 0 cycle: 0

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled

None of it seems to have any effect. Does anyone know of any other
factors that could cause the screen to keep blanking out? The blanking
occurs both in X (fvwm) and at the console, also my HDDs go to sleep too.
The period of inactivity before blanking is between 3 and 10 minutes
(it's not consistent). No xscreensaver (or other screensaver program) is
running.

The strange thing: I did have the blanking stopped for a few weeks, but
then after a kernel compile and reboot, it's blanking again. I don't know
how I got it to stop before, I remember struggling unsuccessfully with
the commands above for quite some time, then for no reason I could
explain, it stopped. Now it's blanking again, and I can't figure out what
I had done to disable it. I'm running kernel 2.4.25, sourcemage distro.

Thanks for any help!

Marc

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Screen Saver
    ... suggested that it was actually power management doing the blanking, ... It's very likely DPMS interfering with Gnome Screensaver. ... Rashkae had already pointed me at man xset, and I have now learned how ... to disable the blanking which was driving me crazy. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to get X Windows to stop blanking out
    ... | Subject: Re: How to get X Windows to stop blanking out ... | How about "xset s off"? ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: geting X to NOT se DPMS?
    ... > I'm goign uts trying to keep the X server from blanking. ... could it be the screensaver? ... try xset s off. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: How to get X Windows to stop blanking out
    ... |>|> I want to have X Windows stop blanking out the screen after some ... |>|> switch to a screensaver, ... But I could try KDE for a while. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • screensaver vs dpms
    ... the screensaver (blanking the screen) ... xset q shows standby, suspend, off all at 0, ie disabled. ... Are there F11 guidelines for using both screensaver and dpms? ...
    (Fedora)