How to disable screen blanking

From: Marc Greene (dontsendme_at_anyemail.ath.cx)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: 25 Mar 2004 17:16:13 -0800

I can't seem to stop my screen from blanking. I've tried to research this
issue, and the things I've tried so far are:

disable all power management in the bios and the kernel config
comment out '#Option "DPMS"' in XF86Config
xset s 0 0
xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms
setterm -blank 0
setterm -powersave off
setterm -powerdown 0

xset q shows:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking: no allow exposures: no
  timeout: 0 cycle: 0

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled

None of it seems to have any effect. Does anyone know of any other
factors that could cause the screen to keep blanking out? The blanking
occurs both in X (fvwm) and at the console, also my HDDs go to sleep too.
The period of inactivity before blanking is between 3 and 10 minutes
(it's not consistent). No xscreensaver (or other screensaver program) is
running.

The strange thing: I did have the blanking stopped for a few weeks, but
then after a kernel compile and reboot, it's blanking again. I don't know
how I got it to stop before, I remember struggling unsuccessfully with
the commands above for quite some time, then for no reason I could
explain, it stopped. Now it's blanking again, and I can't figure out what
I had done to disable it. I'm running kernel 2.4.25, sourcemage distro.

Thanks for any help!

Marc