ALSA: monitoring output level

From: bad_knee (bl8n8r_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/17/04

Date: 17 May 2004 08:38:17 -0700

Hello All. I've built an MP3 player that is using the ALSA system,
and have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of a way to read the stream of data that is
currently being played? (to build one of those cool looking
oscilliscope displays).

Other than hacking the mpg123 source, I'm hoping for a quicker way. (I
have a crystalfontz LCD display embedded as an interface, no monitor
here)

2) The other question is how to read the output level of each song
being played?

I'm thinking of setting a threshold somehow and automatically
adjusting the volume control, on the fly, as the song is being played.
 This required being able to read the volume level of the
datastream.... or something.

thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • ALSA: monitoring output level
    ... I've built an MP3 player that is using the ALSA system, ... The other question is how to read the output level of each song ... adjusting the volume control, on the fly, as the song is being played. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is there a service to compile my music?
    ... be to flip through CDs (changer or not) and find that song. ... I bought an mp3 player and a head unit that has an input jack. ...
    (rec.audio.car)
  • Re: MP3 Players/Accessories for Boat Use?
    ... > downloading stolen songs, and the "sharing" services, even the ones you ... I've never downloaded a song, nor do I ever intend to. ... songs that are currently on my MP3 player were all ripped from CD's I own by ... My first burner was an HP 2X ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: error 80070013
    ... "Ted Zieglar" wrote: ... > Pay for a license that allows you to synch the song to your mp3 player. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Listing to Mp3 through the Hi-Fi
    ... the Output Level is OK for headphones, but too LOW for connecting to a ... european firmwares. ... If there is a version of firmware for you mp3 player ... Creatives forum had ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)