Re: What your GNU/Linux looks like? Suggestion for developers...

From: Chris F.A. Johnson (c.fa.johnson_at_rogers.com)
Date: 05/17/04

Date: 17 May 2004 20:46:22 GMT

On 2004-05-17, Antti Aspinen wrote:
> I think that the GNU/Linux developers should deal with some lines to get
> more united and user friendly outlook for GNU/Linux.In order to get
> linux as desktop and operating system for home users. I have couple of
> suggestions for different kind of developers. I know that some of these
> are maybe just too much to work out.
>
> I am just asking as a home user to work with these things.
>
> First suggestion is this:
> Kernel starts with textmode where is a text that no-home user needs.
> Acctually it might make them fear that something is no right. Kernel
> developers should add some kind of option to kernel(.config) that makes
> those boot up texts disappear. Something like load gauge or just empty
> screen were reads middle of the screen, "Plase wait, Linux kernel is

    It already exists; when I install a distro which has it, the first
    thing I do is get rid of it.

> Second suggestion:
> I know that there is a system called
> BootSplash"(http://www.bootsplash.org/) for linux kernel. It isn't
> official part of kernel. But I'd like to hope that it will at one
> day.

    Heaven forbid!

> And I also hope that those who are developing it take a look what their
> default theme looks like. It is ugly, gray and yellow, what a
> compination of colors. (that was too straigt, sorry.)

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, you can customize
    it however you want.

> I know a theme
> from KDE-Look.org what is much better. Take a look at it at here:
> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6322

    Not bad, but not what I'd want.

> It is available for pure version too. I hope that it will be included as
> a default theme for bootsplash. Or similar to it.

> Third suggestion:
> Login screens are just too slow. When I want to login I'd like to klick
> my picture and that's it. It is the right way of doing it.

    Again, the pictures are a high priority item for removal. It does
    half a cracker's work: "This door has two keys; here's one
    of them."

> Then it will
> ask my password(if needed). And I am ready when I have typed my
> password. It will login. At today when I login with GDM, I DO have to
> write my name and then password. I know that there is a system that
> works with pictures. But dosen't work the way it should.

    How _should_ it work?

> So those whom created it. Please fix it to work as a simplier and
> faster. It is good idea however.

    It's a bad idea.

> Fourth suggestion:
>
> This just for those who are working with KDE, Gnome or some other
> desktop. Please for god's sake , make your desktop work and look good.

    Define "look good".

> Let's take an example from OSX, it is simple, clean and fast. I know
> about desktop wars and why Gnome was created for. I think that it is
> just stypid. Gnome is for those who work, and KDE is for those who play.

    Both are a waste of time and resources.

> Home users want a mix. Some parts to work, and some parts to play. That
> is the first priority in order to create home desktop enviroment. RedHat
> is on right track. And I think that if the development will continue
> like this I am sure that RedHat's Gnome desktop will be the best around
> here.(Ximian desktop is? oh? desktop theme!

    RedHat is no longer in the home desktop business. That has ben
    shunted off to Fedora.

> :D )And there is no competor
> for it. yet? blucurve brovides a clean outfit and makes Gnome look good.
> Not britty, but just good. And KDE could be much more than it is at now.

    When I installed Mandrake 10.0 a few weeks ago, I tried KDE for a
    while; there was no way to set it up the way I wanted it, so back
    to Windowmaker.

> Fifth suggestion:
>
> When you want to configure Gnome, it's config tools are lying around
> where? Those are here, there and every where.
>
> Gnome has a tool called "start here" or what was it? oh yeah, "configure
> center". Hey come on. You can't even call it "configure center" it is
> just folder where is links to those different tools. Gnome project
> should learn from KDE and stole that wonderful and messy configuration
> center from there. It isn't clean, but it is fast and unites a config
> tools to one program. It one program should also be adjustatible with
> other (later added) tools too. So that if you make a program that needs
> a configuration options, you could as a developer to make a "page" or
> "table" to that configuration program. Or something like that.
>
> Sixth suggestion:
>
> When you make all these look at same style or should I say theme? Then
> this BIG project is ready for home use. (for those who don't know
> computers any thing exept, power button and there is blue "e" letter on
> desktop were they can get into internet.

    "E" is for "Internet"? How intuitive!

    I don't want everything to look the same any more than I want
    every meal I eat to look like a steak, whether it is or not.

    For me, the most time consuming part of setting up my system is
    making things look different from each other.

> I prefer Crystal/Milk theme or some other (Bluecurve) theme. But
> Bootsplash, Login screen and desktop MUST BE using same theme style and
> sama themeing. It will create feeling for user that he is using
> something good. We all know Windoze? Okey, Windows is pieche of crap
> technology, but in Circus some may call WindowsXp (too colorful, ugly..)
> There is the theme that gives for user feeling that this is good and you
> can trust this. So theme covers the bad things from wxp.
>
> In Gnu/Linux I think that it is too technic and needs theme for covering
> it's technic experrions.(WindowsXP needs theme for covering it's
> "darkside[s]") And united theme that is good looking and dosen't disturb
> eyes with too colorful outfit is just what we need. And when this is
> applied for everything we can see in OS then we have a united OS. Not
> just somekind of 1:1 size house that is made from 10 000 000 lego pieces.
>
> And we need to create our own theme. Like we have our own way of doing
> things. I don't want to use just some Crystal or Milk theme clone. I
> want theme that is made from some graphic artis who understand home
> users to home users. That graphic artist needs also a information about
> what is useful and what is waste of time.

     As a former graphic artist, I know that there is no
     one-size-fits-all.

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                        http://cfaj.freeshell.org
    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson

  • What your GNU/Linux looks like? Suggestion for developers...
    ... I think that the GNU/Linux developers should deal with some lines to get ... linux as desktop and operating system for home users. ... This just for those who are working with KDE, Gnome or some other ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: stop the desktops upgrades
    ... still Gtk+ 1.x stuff lying around). ... I can tell you that upgrading from GNOME ... The reason people don't use Motif, even though it's now "open," is that ... Windows--for users or for developers. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18
    ... Is there a Tutorial for Custom Partitioning for Fedora 18? ... Most of the time, at least in the past 5 years or so, I've been finding that changes have been made for the sake of change, not an actual need for the change (Gnome 3, anyone?). ... A lot of it also feeds from upstream where maintainers are far more interested in pursuing their on pet feature sets than providing a long term reliable, well understood and well supported code base. ... By definition, users don't make software, so developers either make what they want or make what they think users will like. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2
    ... currently involved in a fascinating example where many of the developers ... This is about a GNOME 3 hacker who got lost in life ... ... many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?" ... Bud looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully ...