Re: redhat 9 install fails repeatedly

From: Walter Mautner (nownews.10.eatallspam_at_spamgourmet.com)
Date: 05/30/04

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:27:47 +0200

chuck wrote:

> Hi,
> I have tried about 20 times now to install redhat 9 on my system but
> it fails
> for various reasons. It will be a dual boot with windows server 2003.
> It is a
> machine about 4 years old. see link for system info
> http://largebuttons.com/fileupload/cpuz.htm
>
> As far as I can tell this is the most recent bios, though MSI no
> longer seems to
> acknowledge this motherboard on their site.

> Most time however i get something like this
> http://largebuttons.com/fileupload/stop.jpg
>
> I am going crazy trying to get this installed. Does anyone have any
> advice?

Run memtest86 (you can download a bootable floppy from bootdisk.com or
elsewhere). Set your bios to "failsafe defaults" if that helps.
Swap out one ram stick after the other.

Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I need Help. "No Safe Mode" and...? Possibly an opportunity to recover.
    ... > from CD or running a repair install of WIndows is not a big effort.For ... > the MSKB or link I give them every single time I mention going into bios ... > 5) I can think of dozens of reasons why a computer might not get all the ... I was responding originally to your comment that: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: I need Help. "No Safe Mode" and...? Possibly an opportunity to recover.
    ... "For someone who knows what they're doing, changing the bios to boot from ... but clear instructions are in the MSKB or link I give them ... Also having experienced the boot to windows problem early on as a beginner, ... Anyone can think of dozens of hardware related reasons why someone can't get ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • STOP error when resuming from hibernate
    ... If I then power off the system and power it back on, bios does detect the Windows Server 2003 HD, but changes the boot order and boots to one of the other HDs in my system. ... Now, I am thinking this must be a power management setting in the bios, but I am not very knowledgeable on these power management settings. ...
  • Re: RAM limits
    ... The reasons for doing it are simple - they need addresses for the PCI BIOSs below the 4GB limit that a 32-bit OS sees as flat memory. ... That some of them don't have the problem is because they've used some smarts in the BIOS to manage it. ... Gregg Hill ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RAM not reported correctly
    ... > with 4 gigs of matched dual channel memory. ... Both the bios and Windows ... I'd take a look at that and consider giving Option A a short if B is not an ... The depth of the reasons behind it far exceeds my ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)