Re: Antivirus?

From: Grant (thingy69_at_email.com)
Date: 05/30/04

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 14:56:53 +0100

Circuit Breaker wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 13:45:39 +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I was just wondering this morning, do i really need antivirus? the
>>reason i thought that was because i run only linux and freebsd boxes and
>>i heard that there is very limited virus's that can affect/infect a
>>bsd/linux box...
>>
>>So i was wondering do i really need to install them virus filters on my
>>mail server? or on any of my bsd/linux boxes, if i do could someone
>>explain why....
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Grant.
>

> From what I've read in previous postings here and across the net (read,
> "Google can tell you"), the only reason that anyone has any pressing need
> to run any kinf of antivirus on their linux/unix/bsd/whatever box is when
> they are acting as a mail server for people who use Microsoft Outlook
> Express (or any other Windows-based mail reader, but most readers have the
> decency *not* to open executable file attachments by default).
>
> The reason is because the mail server will transfer files along with the
> mail because they're part of the message. The virus scanner should be set
> to open the mail as it passes through your linux system and remove any
> virus infections from any attachments. While it's there, you could do the
> BOFH thing (http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh) and direct it to grep
> the e-mail for personally identifiable information along with references
> to less-than-moral acts :-DDD, but only if you have a decent lawyer or an
> extensive set of LARTs. :-D
>
> OTOH, if you do not serve anything to any windows machines, you *probably*
> don't have any need for antivirus whatsoever.
>
> Something you DO have to keep an eye out for is trojans and/or worms.
> Trojans, only if you run malicious, uncertified, unrecognized programs as
> root (gee, what's that red button do? >*click*<), and worms, because all
> software has vulnerabilities. However, as home users, we typically do not
> run the kinds of services that have the aforementioned vulnerabilities and
> therefore are at a much decreased risk, whereas it's mostly the business
> and corporate users -- who are likely to attract attention to their web
> sites, etc. -- who are at an increased risk / exposure that need to worry
> about those.
>
> If you need more info, hit Google, specifically groups.google.com and
> google.com/linux
>
> HIH
>
> CJ

Neat thanks for that... seeing as i do serve a few windows clients i
think i will have a look at shoving something on there to protect them...

but for now i think i will just suggest they keep their virus guards
updated..

Thanks for the quick reply!

Grant.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: And another Ubuntu convert!
    ... like the fact that you told her that she didn't need antivirus. ... Granted there are very few linux viruses, but this type of attitude will ... internet from one of my machine, I have them use an old Ubuntu laptop... ... I have yet to see a virus. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A little confused
    ... Linux is engineered in a fashion that makes it hard ... reasons you might want a virus scanner on your Linux PC: ... to scan a Windows drive in your PC ... I am not going to install an antivirus in my Linux host, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Is a Virus Scanner Necessary with Linux?
    ... >> the Windows Os and not Linux is there any reason to use a virus ... If a virus scanner is recommended which products ... The only reason that I am aware of this is that my son insists on using ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: And another Ubuntu convert!
    ... I think a fear of a virus on Ubuntu is unfounded. ... Virus on Linux, but none of the people I have installed Ubuntu for have ... But, IIRC, Linux can HARBOR Windows viruses even if they aren't INFECTED by them. ... you said you don't run antivirus. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Anti-Virus et Resource de CPU
    ... Vous n'avez pas de CPU ... Ceux qui utilisent Linux n'ont pas besoin d'installer un antivirus ... plus vraiment de virus mais de menaces. ...
    (soc.culture.quebec)