Re: How do I synchronize my hardware clock to GMT ?

From: Remove the letters in all caps\ (_at_STOPSPAMNOW.commercialventvac)
Date: 09/26/04

Date: 26 Sep 2004 15:59:49 GMT
To: Mark Hobley <markhobley@hotpop.com>

Mark Hobley wrote:

>My PC Hardware clock is configured to GMT. I require a package that I can
>run from the cron (possibly once every couple of days) that will connect to a
>public internet time server, and synchronize the hardware clock to GMT.
>
>What package can I use for this ? I am using Debian.
>
>Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark.

Mark,

    There is a utility called ntp which will synchronize your clock to a
time server. It will also tweak your system clock and make it very
accurate. As your clock becomes more accurate, the traffic that NTP
generates (which is never very great to begin with) will slow down. The
hard part is getting NTP configured in the first place.

I use clock1.redhat.com as my time server.

Regards,

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Who offers the best FREE atomic clock program?
    ... Vista already synchonizes with a time server. ... You can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: Atomic Clock sync in Win-XP....???
    ... Windows XP users can synchronize their PC clocks by using the built-in time ... clock with the Hong Kong Observatory's network time server, ... To synchronize your PC clock, ... I found the above with a Google using: Windows XP clock sync. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: System time 1 hr ahead of real time
    ... I have my hardware clock set to the local time. ... or get the time from a time server ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client
    ... plus the error from the stratum one to the stratum 2. ... than inbound packets for example) and your clock would be biased. ... I've been asked to evaluate the following time server, ... (AFAIU, this time server implements SNTP, not the full NTP.) ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Win32Time Error Message
    ... Double click your clock on the taskbar. ... Click on the Internet Time Tab. ... The time server time.windows.com is operated by Microsoft, ... [[Click to synchronize your computer clock with the selected Internet Time ...