Re: HW Problems

From: Ranando King (
Date: 11/16/04

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:51:13 -0600

If you're using Mandrake, you can boot from the install CD. If you type
rescue at the prompt, you'll be able to boot to a shell where you can mount
your root drive and fix your settings. I'm sure other distributions have
something similar.

"Giobbe" <> wrote in message
> Since I've changed all my computer HW, but I'm keeping the same HD with
> Linux, it doesn'load anymore. I had a SCSI controller before and I think
> it's still trying to load the SCSI controllor and it gets blocked as It
> cannot find it!
> I'm a newbie, could someone please tell me all the configuration files
> Linux look up during the boot? I wanna check this files and remove
> references to HW that doesn't exist more!
> Thanks!!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... They're two of the many Linux distributions. ... > provided it has its own partition. ... separate boot partition, but that's the easiest approach - unless ...