Samba access by Windows users locking out directory access with Konqueror

From: Harry (harry-fine_at_rogers.com)
Date: 12/03/04

    Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:26:32 -0500

    Hello

    A strange problem that took me a while to track down. I had been having
    problems, thinking it was a KDE Konqueror problem, browsing directories on
    the local Linux machine. I would get to a certain directory, and Konqueror
    (or other KDE apps browsing directories) would just hang and stall.

    After a while, I noticed that it was always a directory that one of my
    family members was working in over Samba from their Win XP boxes. In other
    words, my son is doing work on a file for school using Microsoft Word,
    accessing the file on the Linux server. The directory where all the
    family's work files are is a mapped drive on each of their Windows
    machines.

    It's strange, because if I use the command line and change to the directory
    where their files are on my Linux box, ie:

    cd /home/family/Documents/wpdocs_Robbie/2004_2005/History_102

    I can change to the directory properly, and list the files just fine. If I
    use Midnight Commander (MC), I can move to the directory and view the
    files. However, if I use Konqueror to browse there, or even other KDE apps
    such as K3B, it stalls and locks.

    If I walk over to my son's machine, and close the file, Konqueror becomes
    responsive again and I can browse the subject directory.

    I have Suse 9.1, the latest Suse samba rpms 3.0.9-1.1, and the latest KDE
    from Suse.

    Thank you.

    • Samba access by Win user locking out directory browsing with Konqueror
      ... A strange problem that took me a while to track down. ... problems, thinking it was a KDE Konqueror problem, browsing directories on ... I would get to a certain directory, and Konqueror ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [kde] Whats the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?
      ... It is bullshit when you state that you are being forced to use KDE4. ... mostly unconnected with KDE. ... the-less, I expect konqueror 4.x to work better (or anyway, not worse, it ... of the java and scripting applet in konqueror's config/preferences), ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: [kde] I just noticed: no more crashes! Thanks, KDE team!
      ... I've been sort of busy for a while, and then a little ill, so not much ... acitivity here and with KDE. ... From what I understand enabling this option in Konqueror enables it ... krunner was MUCH more stable for me after I followed the suggestion ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: [kde] THE kde desktop is slow...
      ... I takes long time to load the desktop successfully, ... For example, I want to open the konqueror,or opera. ... I haven't updated it in awhile, but I run kde ... tho it /has/ been awhile since I updated; ...
      (KDE)
    • [opensuse] First impressions and questions from 11.0
      ... Installation is easy and fast. ... Opening KDE 4.0 for the first time. ... Then I decide to see if the great konqueror has been killed off. ... Will I update my server? ...
      (SuSE)