Re: Need Help with post debian 3.0 install

From: Andy Fraser (andyfraser31_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 12/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:34:14 +0000

In alt.os.linux, tmt uttered these immortal words:

> ok. understand the general gist of the discussion. I got an install
> with about 7 disks worth of debian stuff. first how do I find out
> which cd has the kde software.

Look at the APT docs at http://www.debian.org. Check out apt-cdrom ("man
apt-cdrom").

> next, I'm not afraid of the command
> line but what programs can you run from the command line other than low
> level admin stuff. I can't run OOO or even get on the internet with
> the command line can I?

You can run anything you like from the command line. If what you want to run
needs X then you need to have X running.

> I'm also aware there are a few files that need configuring, variables
> that need to be changed, etc. I'm just somewhat lost for where to find
> them and how to edit them.

Specific questions are the only way to get help with this. I have no idea
what you need to change. There isn't any info in your post to work with to
give any specific answers.

> I have tried VI and for now I hate it,
> maybe because I just don't understand it, so then I logically decide to
> get another editor and install it but guess what, now I'm back where I
> started because I either download it off the net burn to cd and then
> copy to a directory or try and find it on the 7 disks worth of cd's,

See above.

> then I have to figure out if I should use dpkg or apt or whatever the
> protocol is on linux to tell it to unpack and install it,

dpkg is the lower level package installer. APT uses dpkg in the background.
As I said above and else where, learn to use APT. These are Debian
specific, not Linux specific.

> then, I have
> to screw around with the linux equivalent of the path arguments, then
> it might work. truth is if I could do that I'd probably not have a
> problem with getting kde to run.

Once you understand APT everything will become clear.

> another issue was it seems you can't just install kde.

Yes you can. "apt-get install kde" works for me.

> you have to
> download the main file and whatever extensions you want for it.
> someone please take pity on the newbie and correct me where I'm wrong.

Again, see above.

> I don't care about working from the command line. quite honestly if
> their were a way to do everything in the command line without using
> gui, I would do it.

There is. Linux is perfectly usable only from the command line. You need X
to run X apps though.

> It would allow me to run using a 386 instead of
> any athlon or whatever.

As I've stated else where in this thread, Debian isn't that good for newbies
to *nix. Debian is excellent if you want total control over your OS. Debian
Stable is excellent if you want a rock solid server or you're not too
bothered about the age of the desktop environments/window managers and apps
but you need some idea of what you're doing.

Download Knoppix. It's Debian based, runs directly from a CD so you can play
with it and can be installed to your HDD if you want to make it permanent.

Download Mandrake 10.1. It's very newbie friendly and a great environment to
learn in.

--
Andy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Question about Viruses on parallels using Windows XP
    ... Everything you will need for your flavor of Linux will come from either the particular Linux OS web server or will be a trusted third party site, like Firefox, etc. ... Debian installs with less intital programs and leaves program choices up to you. ... Debian also installs what it considers a minimal install, so you do not have a lot of programs on your system you do not care for and you can customise Debian to be exactly what you want it to be. ... If you have been reading about Linux distribution you will read a lot about the install... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Debian: A noob query
    ... need to do a job that requires 'dependable' software, I use Debian. ... Try out several distros of Linux that are run from a 'Live CD/DVD'. ... is much easier than doing an install and experimenting on your machine. ... Ah well, I try that one too...., but I have to download that too after ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Best Linux version to port from OpenServer 5.0.5/6
    ... 5.0.5/6, to Linux. ... > something that doesn install aload of crap you don't need... ... > The package management allows easy installs of packages ... Debian will never die!,See ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB
    ... and that package comes with all versions of debian. ... get the Linux partition to work with the DSL connection. ... According to the manual for the Rocket 133SB in the retail box, ... I had hoped to install all of the new hardware with my old OS first, ...
    (Debian-User)