Re: Why Windows is Easier than Linux For An End User, Especially for Multimedia work.

From: james of tucson (fishbowl_at_radagast.home.conservatory.com)
Date: 01/01/05

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:43:54 GMT

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.pro.]
On 2004-12-27, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with your premise. I maintain that a properly installed and
> set up Linux system is no harder to use than a properly installed and
> set up MS system - it is just a little different.

Any time I hear this kind of argument, all I have to do is think of my
mom, who was already in her 50s when she got hold of a Kaypro, and
without my help (or even my blessing, really), had become rather
proficient with CP/M and Wordstar, almost completely on her own.

Linux is a hell of a lot easier to get into than that stuff was.

One person I met over Christmas absolutely shocked me -- a hilbilly
redneck by anyone's standards, even other hillbilly rednecks' standards,
and I'm not joking at all here, showed me his Lindows PC, or Linspire,
as it is called now. He was *using* it, *proficiently*, to do
bookkeeping and correspondence for his trucking business.

After that experience, I'm not worried about Linux advocacy anymore,
because I believe the work is done.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... along with two linux groups and one unix group. ... of reasoning known as fallacies. ... 450 MB of a 2 GB Linux system that reports that it is using ... My first reaction is "This is characteristic of the working set manager kicking in" In ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: [SLE] Partition Magic vs. Linux partitioner
    ... drive is multiboot it only boots it is a LINUX system only ... and was created as a LINUX system. ... 2.the Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ELF loading
    ... Is there anything like ActiveX on a Linux system, ... a data source and can convert from one data source to another transparently? ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: How to cancel printing or to delete a print job that is stuck
    ... printer that is on the linux system? ... Jobs get a reference count associated with them from the spooler and the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: how to produce cross-platform exe file?
    ... In linux system, I can launch the app by this commmand: ... I can launch the app by this command: ... I want to make a exe file, so that by double clicking the exe file, ...
    (Debian-User)