Re: Why Windows is Easier than Linux For An End User, Especially for Multimedia work.

From: james of tucson (fishbowl_at_radagast.home.conservatory.com)
Date: 01/01/05

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:43:54 GMT

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.pro.]
On 2004-12-27, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with your premise. I maintain that a properly installed and
> set up Linux system is no harder to use than a properly installed and
> set up MS system - it is just a little different.

Any time I hear this kind of argument, all I have to do is think of my
mom, who was already in her 50s when she got hold of a Kaypro, and
without my help (or even my blessing, really), had become rather
proficient with CP/M and Wordstar, almost completely on her own.

Linux is a hell of a lot easier to get into than that stuff was.

One person I met over Christmas absolutely shocked me -- a hilbilly
redneck by anyone's standards, even other hillbilly rednecks' standards,
and I'm not joking at all here, showed me his Lindows PC, or Linspire,
as it is called now. He was *using* it, *proficiently*, to do
bookkeeping and correspondence for his trucking business.

After that experience, I'm not worried about Linux advocacy anymore,
because I believe the work is done.