Re: Help configuring a consumer Linux workstation - Distro?

From: jared (jared_at_hwai.com)
Date: 02/01/05

    Date: 1 Feb 2005 11:12:12 -0800

    Alan,

    Thanks for the reply - I am not a Linux novice, just haven't paid
    attention to the consumer side, but am now looking to put my wife on it
    as well. SUSE is currently available as a free download months after
    being released. Ximian (Novell Desktop) is no longer available for
    free, even in crippled form. I don't blame Novell (or SUSE), but I
    don't want to trade one master for another. Unfortunately, because of
    VMware's requirements it looks like I will have to run SUSE 9.1.

    Thanks for replying - I appreciate you (and everyone else in the
    thread) taking the time to post a response.

    Kind regards,
    jh

    • Re: Where is inetd.conf?
      ... I've been a windows developer for some time, ... > re-package what is essentially RHEL as a free download. ... Yes, Suse is pretty decent. ... FC3 has issues with everything from Applications to Zebra (ok...I'm ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: re[2]: [SLE] NOVELL TO UNLEASH LINUX DESKTOP IN FALL
      ... With SUSE 8.0, I prefer to use Gnome - it loads faster on my box than KDE. ... They said that Novells goal is to have Novell Desktop running on a third of all Linux desktops!!!!! ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] Suse 9.3
      ... > What about Novell desktop cost and release schedule? ... > I keep hearing on this list that Pro is for recreation/experimenting. ... SuSE x.x Std. ... | Novell Desktop Linux) == Windows XP Pro ...
      (SuSE)
    • re[2]: [SLE] NOVELL TO UNLEASH LINUX DESKTOP IN FALL
      ... Mono and Gnome are tied at the hip, ... They said that SUSE was likely to remain a KDE focused distro. ... I'm sure it will be compatible with SUSE, but also Redhat, etc. ... They said that Novells goal is to have Novell Desktop running on a third of all Linux desktops!!!!! ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] Where is new version of SuSE ???
      ... > James Knott wrote: ... >> That article is about Novell desktop, ... >> clients, not SuSE Linux, which is sold to consumers. ... I happily use SuSe ...
      (SuSE)