Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

From: Mark Hobley (markhobley_at_hotpop.deletethisbit.co.uk)
Date: 02/14/05

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:08:05 GMT

I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.

My mouse is a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux.

I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch.

When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, sometimes the
mouse cursor freezes and I have to reboot the computer to reactivate the mouse.

A while ago, on another computer, I used to use Debian Woody with a 2.4 Kernel
and an earlier version of Xfree86.

On that machine, when the mouse cursor hung, it was possible to kill the mouse
 daemon process (moused, I think) and restart it to revive the mouse.

I do not appear to have a mouse daemon process on the machine running Debian
 Sarge, so I am unable to do this.

Even if I shut down to single user mode and back into multi-user mode, the
mouse remains hung. The only way to free the mouse is to reboot the machine.

Is the mouse being driven from a kernel module or something now ? I can't find
a mouse daemon.

This problem is really annoying.

I do not wish to replace my KVM switch since it is big and expensive and a
replacement 8 way electronic switch would also be expensive.

This annoyance has been recorded at:

http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/annoyances/lin05.html

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Relevant Pages

  • Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel
    ... I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86. ... I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Alsa and Linux kernel 2.6.0-test4
    ... > I just decided to switch from RedHat to Debian and so far am very ... > audio card and the problems with the SB Live that Dell ships. ... > installing 2.4.22 of the kernel. ... Debian testing/unstable ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65
    ... > or slackware or debian? ... Why should I switch to another distribution when ... kernel without this problem, I'd happily try it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Advice replacing Xorg with XFree86_4 - Nightmare on Elm Street Up_1
    ... > The only one I can think of right now that uses XFree86 is debian, ... > knoppix is based on debian. ... kernel in Debian as the very first step of installation (press F1 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • unsubscribe
    ... > Subject: debian newbie... ... If I need to recompile the kernel, ... Also, what other additional packages, ... >> The package you're trying to install presumably ...
    (Debian-User)