Re: Distro specific...

From: KT (kt_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:13:57 GMT

If you think that's good ( I have tried Mepis and other Debian based
Distros) - you ought to look at Kubuntu - a derivative of Ubuntu but KDE 3.4
and the bleeding edge technologies it contains AND works - I love Kynaptic
for it. Been running it for 4 days now - it has replaced my main laptop OS
(from XP).

"daman" <patricksadleriii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat of a distro specific rant, but it performs well and
> really looks good. Just installed mepis and it's great! This thing is
> the best distro as far as the manner in which everything works
> together. And that's no small task. Hey, everything works (for the most
> part). I'm fairly new to linix (did i spell that right)/;-| Mepis is
> Debian based right?It looks good also. Kinda snazzy!!! And boy, that's
> really top drawer! Thanks Warren and the team for cordinating, managing
> and developing a fine distro. This really raises the bar for the next
> wave of progenitors combining and newly developing
> distros. Thanks guys.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: pros/cons of installing from source
    ... > specifies (not just the application developer), ... > strictly required by a binary distro are really not. ... > distros one has 2 levels of non optional dependencies I believe, ... for Debian pulls in some xlibs on even cursor based systems. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: pros/cons of installing from source
    ... aptitude offers you the dependencies the distro developer ... by policy are the ones set by the original package developer. ... There is the Debian Developers Guide and the Debian Free software Guide. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: why debian - longer
    ... Debian provides a stable target that will not change; ... depend on "httpd" which is provided by some dozen packages. ... other distro; ... You are confusing home user targeted distro with admin targeted distro - two ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)
    ... Living with a distro is often far different than a fresh install. ... finally reach Debian but it is not: openSUSE is powerful enough to fit ... can be used as a start point to get the user introduced into the Linux ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Anybody using OpenOffice 2.04 (Linux) under Xandros?
    ... A lot of distros use Debian applications; ... it depends where any distro gets their debian applications -- Just ... Well I wrote machine code circa 35 years ago and am still doing so ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)