Re: CDE Window Manager for Linux

From: Dave Uhring (daveuhring_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/22/05

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:34:36 -0600

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:36:19 -0800, Ian East wrote:

> Probably the main reason is that I'm so used to AIX and CDE and these
> foofy Linux window managers are using up too much resources on my
> machine. Some of the lightweight ones I'm not really that impressed
> with but I guess I'm probalby biased. There are a couple of apps and
> some development that require linux so I'm kind of stuck there.

GNOME and KDE both consume an inordinate amount of resources, as does
XFCE-4. FVWM can be customized to almost any extent you desire yet it
still remains very conservative in its resource requirements. Perhaps you
should visit http://xwinman.org/ to see what other WMs are available.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lightweight desktops?
    ... I often read that you should pick a lightweight distro for older PCs as ... they demand fewer resources. ... This is a screen shot of my laptop, ... Just FVWM in MWM compatibity mode with an icon box. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Animated clock or wheel..
    ... good old bchball.ani or any other Windows animated cursor. ... OK, nice, but I hoped I could find a 'lightweight' solution without having ... building with runtime packages, only the code that needs to be in the ... Well, a set of resources as well, but ...