Re: Using Linux to build Hardware Synths

From: Crackers (bcracknell_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 05/11/05

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:26:29 -0400

"Davorin Vlahovic" <nrubA@ylf.krs.ref.rh> wrote in message
news:slrnd83gu0.2ti.nrubA@afrodita.home.lan...
> On 2005-05-11, Crackers <bcracknell@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > In essence all I need is the PC/soundcard/CD-ROM/Harddrive and even then
> > might be able to get away without the harddrive using a bootable CD.
>
> You don't need to have a cd-rom or hard drive; use network :) All you
> need is a ethernet card and (since it's an old bunch of computers) a
> burned eeprom to support booting over the network + a small server
> that's going to have a disk to boot the rest of them up.
>
> This way you can power on and shut down "client" whenever you like, but
> a server should go through some kind of shut-down procedure. A bonus
> things are that you need to administrate only one machine and there's
> only one hard drive in the whole system.
>
> For this to work, you need a before mentioned nic+eeprom, a server which
> will run dhcp+tftp+nfs and a syslinux package (you'll find everything
> you need on almost every distribution).

Now there's an idea. A little tricky, perhaps to take to gigs but it's
definetly giving me a chubby just thinking about it.

Crackers

--
Ghastly's Ghastly Comic
http://ghastlycomic.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MV code design for use with the web
    ... The point being made is, assuming you have a complex form, as you jump around that application and edit data, it is possible to adopt the design in which you have a bunch of tiny little pieces of code that the web form calls for verification as you work your way through this form. ... The result is you have a bunch of little tiny pieces of code being called, and you do get quite a bit of chatty between the web system and the backend server. ... So in fact the issue isn't so much that smaller bits of code, or larger bits of code will necessarily cause more traffic and messaging between the two technologies, but if you design your software based on the fact that you're going to call a bunch of tiny little routines during data entry, then in fact you will LIKELY increase the amount of messaging between the web server and the backend. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Is openSuse
    ... deselected OpenOffice and a bunch of other office stuff because I was ... trying to build a server and not a desktop. ... Cant see much use for it except to take up a bunch of space ... I'd prefer that early on in the installation that there would ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Sudden slowdown
    ... If it is slow on the server end, then what changed on the server? ... Look for Micro$hit updates (they just pushed a bunch), and antivirus program changes. ... If it is not a Windoze delay, then it seems to me you have changed your code and have an errant filter that is still in effect. ...
    (comp.lang.clipper)
  • Re: POP3 Headaches
    ... A crosspost is when you post a single message to a bunch of different ... I'm trying to get Exchange running smoothly. ... and have the Default POP3 Virtual Server set up with these ... access - external users use OWA, etc - or, if they have their own external ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: incorrect "host key changed" for multi-sshd localhost
    ... >Anyway withan entire 127/8 to use I don't see why you need multiple keys ... so I would have to assign that machine a bunch of local IP ... and overall control systems as the Cisco/Microsoft VPN server. ... The Linux students remain locked out. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)