Recommendation needed for a distro

From: Mark Ashley (priv_at_te.com)
Date: 06/20/05

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:48:39 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all

I am by no means new to Linux, starting out with Slackware a few years ago
then using SuSE for a while as my main OS, before finally being forced to
move to Windows XP. I miss Linux and want to get back in to it.

The only gripe I had with Linux was its complicated dependency tree which
had to be navigated every time I wanted to install a piece of software. ie
Sylpheed requires these 10 packages, they each require three other packages,
and guess what they require... well you get the idea.

I have been impressed with distributions like gentoo, with its emerge
system. Unfortunately, after a week of trying, I am unable to get my
keyboard working in gentoo. I also tried debian after discovering apt-get,
but the supplied kernels would not boot on my laptop.

So really, I am after a recommendation of a good, fast distro with an
apt-get/emerge - like package management and dependency resolution system,
which supports a wide range of hardware. I like the idea of starting with a
basic setup (just support for my hardware and a console) and building
everything else on top of that.

Maybe I'm asking too much - but does such a distro exist?

Thanks in advance for any input
Mark

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The KDE Crash Handler
    ... >> packages are built in a way which prevents creating of proper ... I have had Linux on all different hardware going back to 1995. ... He may also have a defective installation CD/DVD that is not getting all the ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Best Linux version to port from OpenServer 5.0.5/6
    ... > We are embarking on a project to port from OpenServer 5.0.5/6, to Linux. ... something that doesn install aload of crap you don't need... ... The package management allows easy installs of packages, ... Debian will never die!,See the social ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Total Newbie
    ... First packages in a good Linux distribution like Ubuntu work ... you still have to compile from scratch or use something like Automatix to get packages with the good stuff they leave out. ... Maintaining that Unix is more user friendly that Windows is akin to saying that these 95% of people, ... Working in support for as long as I have I've met quite a few "computer professionals" that *are* fools. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: is tcl/tk dying out?!
    ... platforms, as far as I can see (AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, ... most apps included with the distribution, ... ActiveTcl under Linux almost daily. ... But thats a similar situation for many other packages. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Migrating from WinXP Pro to Ubuntu 10.10
    ... Can I have a pruned configuration be my typical boot? ... you can remove and add as many packages as you want. ... My Linux desktop ... apt-get install seamonkey ...
    (Ubuntu)