BADMBR??

From: JS (d44sf_at_44ada.com)
Date: 07/01/05

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:56:26 +0200

I have tried to run "sudo fdisk /dev/hdb" (that is the HDD where ubuntu is
installed) but then I get this error:

johs@ubuntu:~ $ sudo fdisk /dev/hdb

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 39693.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help):

How do I fix this?

When I try to format this HDD from Partition Magic in WinXP I get an error
that says BADMBR and I cannot make any changes to the HDD. I guess its
related to the message that I get when I run fdisk in ubuntu.

Hope someone can help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Install W95 on preformatted HDD, how?
    ... Intend to partition and format with another PC using Partition Magic. ... will I be given the option of ignoring fdisk etc. ... install directly from the HDD without a floppy boot? ... Copy all the contents of the Win95 folder on the CDROM to the Win95 ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: no Mount after Hardware change
    ... The HDD might be dying or just have a problem starting ... the same connection as before ... > I started the computer with an KNOPPIX-CD, ... # fdisk -l /dev/hda ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: W4 Installation hangs at first boot-up from HD
    ... But in order to be able to boot additional OS' from my HDD, I must either try this way or switch to something like AiRBoot, since I have to get beyond that dumb FDisk-BM 8GB boot restriction. ... that the limitation for non-LVM systems still today is even the latest FDisk 14.082/056. ... end despite all expectation actually did not update FDisk to be able to handle LBA access beyond the capabilities of the outdated CHS scheme. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: fdisk cannot do partition on SP1203N/DOM.
    ... On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Zhuanshi He wrote: ... I can do fdisk to this new HDD under DOS. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: How to format a pen drive?
    ... How can one format a pen drive? ... same procedure as with a hdd. ... fdisk /dev/devX where devX is the name of the device associated with the ...
    (Fedora)