Multiple bootable partitions

From: B Gruff (bbgruff_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 07/07/05

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:01:27 +0100

I have 3 hard drives, hda, hdb, hdd.

hdd is just for data (2 large FAT32 partitions)
hda is the old Windows stuff, which I wish to keep, though rarely
used.
hdb is the Linux disk

I've been using SuSE 9.1 for a year, and it's been great.
However, I'd like to try some other distros now, and also move on (in
slow time) to SuSE 9.3.

The way that I would like to do this is by swapping hdb for a larger
drive, and keeping all the linux stuff there still. If I were still
using Windows (heaven forbid!) I'd do everything that I want to do
with Partition Magic and Drive Image, for example:-

- back up partitions by image files to another drive
- restore them as needed
- hide partitions before installing new
- boot by only having the Active partition visible.

I'm ALMOST there with linux, in that I have partimage and Qtparted
available to me. I can image my current 9.1 to a file on hdd.
I can then swap hdb for a larger disk (has a caddy, btw)
On hdb, I can create a swap partition, create a new linux partition,
and restore to it the image from hdb.

- but now how do I boot it?
Sure, I can create a boot floppy (GRUB) for the old system, but this
is a new drive, with different geometry, the partition will be a
logical one rather than a primary, and might be in a different place.

Sorry so long-winded. I'm simplifying the question down to the first
step, in that if I can do this with this partition, AND obtain a new
boot floppy, I think that I'd then be able to do everything else that
I want to do.

The question is, how do I get that new boot floppy with GRUB on it?

Bill

Relevant Pages

  • [opensuse] hosed my MBR
    ... Hosed my MBR ... ignoring extra data in partition table 5 ... My hdb* drive has all my backup linux so no loss. ... If I interchanged the hda and hdb drives, would the new hda have a good MBR? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Recovering a vfat partition
    ... In my desktop Pentium II computer, I've two hard disk drives: hda and hdb. ... When I changed from Fedora to Gentoo, I changed the partition table at hdb, and I started formatting all the partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Recovering a vfat partition
    ... In my desktop Pentium II computer, I've two hard disk drives: hda and hdb. ... When I changed from Fedora to Gentoo, I changed the partition table at hdb, and I started formatting all the partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: basic fdisk question...
    ... the drives on this system are hda and hdb, ... Even gives buffer details on some drives. ... fdisk can be dangerious to newbies, but it will tell you how a partition table looks, and what type of partition exists. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: file recovery ideas? bad boot block
    ... Disk hdb apparently failed. ... to the point where boot doesn't complete. ... /home partition readonly. ... > Install RH on hda, then try to move hdb files to hda, then ...
    (alt.os.linux)