Re: hp pc recovery and dual boot linux

From: SINNER (arcade.master_at_googlemail.net)
Date: 07/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:29:05 GMT

* Wrote in alt.os.linux:

> I am trying to load linux on a second hard drive on my hp pc
> (pavilion 734n). it loads fine. i follow the installation
> instructions to install grub and after everything has installed i
> can reboot into linux, but when i boot into windows xp the demonic
> hp pc recovery system takes over and wipes out grub from the mbr
> (hda1). how can i get these two systems to co-operate peacefully?
>
> it seems that the usual advice is to wipe out windows (something i
> don't want to do). install redhat/fedora, then re-install windows
> from recovery cds. i saw another method that involves copying the
> linux image onto the c: drive and then editing boot.ini... it
> seems error prone and not likely to get around the recovery
> system.
>
> what i'd like is to just turn the stupid recovery system off
> before i install linux and then install linux and be able to boot
> from each OS. afterwards i'd like to restore the recovery system
> so that it won't think having another OS on the machine requires a
> recovery.
>
> any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Does the machine have a floppy? Use it to boot instead.

--
David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Microsoft stranglehold on its users....
    ... loadlin to boot up linux manually by hand from DOS. ... LILO had bugs and it was a trap because to uninstall LILO you had to get a successful boot into Linux and uninstall it from the utility. ... The latest Red Hat Workstation Linux just loads everything on your box with little or no choices and then around version 7 they started to include CDROM drivers for the new, not the old CDROM drives. ... And, I tried the trick of using the old Linux install to mount the new OS software CDROM disk, copy the whole disk to a different partition, then run the install and that would not work either. ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: Anyone tried basiclinux?
    ... Don't want to see the dos prompt anymore. ... You are not prepared to use linux yet. ... and wiped out the entire install. ... Boot floppies are a legacy thing nowadays, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Grub Read Error on 1st boot after install
    ... > I'm new to Linux. ... > won't boot now. ... > install Linux on. ... use a second hard disk rather than just different partitions on ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Cant boot from DVD
    ... Say you download a Linux CD you can boot pretty much any PC in the ... Microsoft Windows used to be that way too, a Windows install ... As for Linux, look up how the netbook respin of Ubuntu came about. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... I tried the supposed fix to make Windows 98SE boot up with more ... than a gig of memory but that has not worked either. ... The last time I did that set of changes, it was done by using a Linux LiveCD ... and finish the Win98 install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)