Re: adding a hdd == huge nightmare

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_mouse-potato.com)
Date: 08/08/05

Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:23:40 -0500

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:58:40 GMT, Andrew wrote:
> i added another hdd to one of computers as primary slave and my linux
> install is on primary master. when i booted into linux, some things all of
> a sudden were messed up. programs were segfaulting etc. i turned off and
> unplugged the harddrive i had added. i turned back on and the problems
> were still there.

Guessing A and B drive were not strapped Master and Slave. Maybe A
was strapped _cable select_ or something else _if_ B was strapped slave.

Then under use, both drives responded to a dma and you now have the A drive
dinked up. Other option is electronics got zapped by static discharge
or cable is lose on A drive or motherboard.

My solution, restore from backup.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: adding a hdd == huge nightmare
    ... >> i added another hdd to one of computers as primary slave and my linux ... >> install is on primary master. ... both drives responded to a dma and you now have the A drive ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Two new installations
    ... now I have to install Linux on two slave drives because my Linux ... Should I just go ahead and install Linux into a single partition on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: NTLDR missing when secondary slave HD present
    ... > When I attach a hard drive as a secondary slave the OS is not detected. ... I tried putting it on the primary slave but its not being detected ... of drives? ... Usually 2 Roms together may give trouble when doing disk to disk ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Music stutters playing from 3rd hard disk
    ... > The reason for stuttering is that the 2nd internal drive is Primary Slave. ... > Any optical drives should be placed as Slaves [most used optical drive as ... Secondary Slave and least used as Primary Slave]. ...
  • Re: 2nd copy of XP and Linux on slave?
    ... > partition on the same 15g slave LINUX. ... If I desire LINUX or the 2nd copy of XP I can go ... the kernel will assign "C:" to it's current boot partition. ... Be carefull when you explicitly name drives. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)