Re: Samba file writing

From: Mike King (emailMK_at_excite.com)
Date: 08/25/05

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:18:22 -0400

> Mike King enlightened us with:
>> The problem I was having was I could not create/write to files on
>> the share.
>
> Any error messages? Or other information we could use? There are a
> shitload of options for Samba, and all we have now is "I can't write".

Sorry for the lack of details. I didn't have write permission.

>> Is there an easier way to backup a large partition?
>
> Sure, tar it to an NFS share.

Compressing all of the files into one file is better than capturing an image
of the partition?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Samba file writing
    ... > Compressing all of the files into one file is better than capturing an image ... > of the partition? ... meets that criteria. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: MSG - "Error calling OSB Method"
    ... that section I have one or more error messages for every day with ... partition to hold the habinate file it uses, and as i have had to ... rebuild the drive it may be that I should have setup this partition. ...
  • Mounting USB stick gives "Invalid argument" (was Re: USB pen/mp3player fails to mount (BBB
    ... The error messages have stopped. ... The data for partition 1 is: ... Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself Patents, copyright and IPR explained for techies: http://www.iusmentis.com/ ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: reboot cycle, no log messages
    ... I ended up filing a bug, and in the process thought of checking a few more combinations. ... (I left the bug there because the error messages could be improved, ... Setting the passno entry in /etc/fstab to 0 or commenting out the entry just pushes the error message back. ... When a large partition at /dev/sdb4, which I use for backup, is the final partition checked in /etc/fstab, it gives me ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] Is the hard disk full? Long post.
    ... I exctracted the tar archive to this partition. ... The extraction took ... the extraction has finished tar gave some error messages that ... I couldn't login ...
    (SuSE)