Re: how to check what has done on a computer?

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 10/01/05

Date: 1 Oct 2005 19:08:10 GMT

"Ross" <a@cuhk.edu.hk> writes:

>"Unruh" <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>> "Ross" <a@cuhk.edu.hk> writes:
>>
>>>i try to look at log files but can't obtain what i want. if i suspect sb.
>>>somehow knows my root password and used it to delete some of the files in
>>>disk, how can i check? thx a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> You cannot. If he has root then he can cover up his tracks. Immediately
>> change your root password, and probably wipe the disk and reinstall.
>>

>oh, just suppose he is not clever enough to clean up all the traces, so what
>can i try to look for? thx~~

history under root
Just type history

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] root access to user
    ... KDE Control Center/Desktop/Size and Orientation - if the system is ... fully set up at admin level, all the available screen resolutions are ... and root access is not required. ... with or without the root password. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Dumb question of the week.
    ... run "ifconfig" to check on something with my network ... You cannot run that as a normal user because ... That will make you root with the ability to run programs ... which asks for the root password and then, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Apache and suexec issue that wont let me run my python script
    ... the contents of your car and telling your spouse what he found. ... The mails to your customers stop you from pretending to them that you ... Change the root password, storing the new one in a way that you could find it ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Need help cloning drive. (UW 2.1/UW 7.1)
    ... > Trouble is I don't know the root password. ... > picky about geometry being the same between two drives and dd will most likely ... Geometry shouldn't be an issue at the slice level. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Hijacking: sudo fails
    ... the full "root" default environment. ... If you are 'root' why would you want to use "su -" anyway? ... If the user has the root password, then they can just use su, and do ... Sudo asks for pwd only once at the first time and then it's ...
    (SuSE)