Re: Slightly confused about particular linux news group?

From: Leo (Bing) Whiteway (leowhiteway_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/02/05

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 16:50:47 GMT

M wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Probable a daft question but here goes anyway.
>
> I can see the news group linux.debian.user from both Outlook on my windows
> PC and KNode on my linux box.
>
> Having gone to www.debian.org it looks to me that if you want to post
> questions/answers to this group you have to subscribe and give them an
> e-mail address.
>
> Presumable you will then be sent the news group postings by email? This
> seems to be a waist of time and bandwidth if you can use a news group
> reader to look at them.
>
> The more annoying consequence will be the avalanche of spam that will
> arrive at that E-Mail address.
>
> Is there any way round this? Is there a way to post questions/answers to
> this news group with subjecting yourself to the avalanche of spam?
>
> Regards,

It sounds to me as if you are confusing a FORUM and a NEWS GROUP.
With most forums you need to login with a password. With the news groups the
only reason I add an email address is because my Mozilla mail requires it.
I use a web mail address for this. Much easier for me to block the spam with web
mail. With news groups you don't get messages in email. You only read the news
groups when and if you want.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cooling a Hot Room
    ... public news group where at best it could be considered "off ... Just for the record I hate spam passionately but it's also ... If so how much trust does this forum have ... This link puts the spam bots into a loop: ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • WARNING: NGs Consist Solely of One Fed SpamBot.
    ... In every News Group, with the exception of my posts, ... identical same Spammer calling himself 'Virgil', ... "I Virgil am proud that I my countless thousands of spam ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: PING William B. Noble was FA - a bunch of alarm related stuff - temperature sensors
    ... their correct e-mail as a return address (note - the google news group ... reader does not let you use a fake email address). ... What happens is that those who wish to send spam use computers to read ... for valid email addresses and then put them on lists that are sold to ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Cooling a Hot Room
    ... news group where at best it could be considered "off topic." ... when people mislabel posts as spam. ... Everything that was in my posting is parphrases ... If so how much trust does this forum have ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Slightly confused about particular linux news group?
    ... >> seems to be a waist of time and bandwidth if you can use a news group ... I use a web mail address for this. ... with my newsgroup software on either Linux or Windows. ... I don't think it is a Forum as they appear different when you look at them. ...
    (alt.os.linux)