Re: Starting out linux

From: Michael Hearne (here_at_home.us)
Date: 11/02/05

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 02:34:15 GMT

Gremnebulin wrote:
> Sathyaish wrote:
>
>>ok, I worked on Unix for a few months in 1996 but since then I've been
>>a Windows user. I am new to linux. Tell me about some books and a good
>>distro to get started; something I could freely download from the Web
>>or get for a cheap price shipped by courier rather than a download
>>(downloads cost a whole lotta money, too).
>>
>>I'd ideally prefer a bootable-CD distro; one that runs on top of your
>>OS
>

> For a seriously cheapskate approach, you may be able to borrow a book
> with an installable or bootable CD from a public library.

I use a kvm to switch from my Linux computer to one of two other windows
computers. I don't dual-boot anymore, and I think it's much better this way.

Since around Sep 1 of this year, my Windows computers have been
rebooting about twice a day on their own. They are Windows 2000
machines, and it seems to me that most of the updates stopped in 2004.
Now they are getting them every day, and rebooting themselves.

Not only that, but I am getting these messages asking me for the product
ID numbers. I don't know what these people want, but I don't think I'm
going to play their game at all. I paid them long ago, and I don't have
a damned thing to prove. My Windows machines were registered long ago.
It's like having some drug-war lowlife demanding a cup of piss from me.
He'll get it all right, but not where he expected it.

The only reason that I still had Windows running at all, was to satisfy
a couple of occasional visitors, and to run several peices of hardware
that just won't work without it.

Now I think they have offended me for the last time, and that I will
actually erase all of their software, and throw out the machines that
don't work without it.

Unless you don't mind the cops and the neighbors watching through your
windows, I'd suggest that you just switch over and start from scratch.

Linux is great. You don't have to worry about viruses or spyware, and
once you've set up your machine, you're done! No more contact with the
company, unless the OS version changes.

Once you've made a connection to the Internet, then go for it. All
Ubuntu is, is Debian. Once you have made the initial connection, then
you can build from there. It's the same with Mandrake or any other
distro. You just need to get the basic OS installed, and then start
building on it.

Good luck, I hope you switch over, and are happy with it.

Michael

--
    RLU #352695
  35.14N - 101.50W