Re: PXE and booting from NFS server

From: chris dewbery (chris.dewbery_at_millentech.com)
Date: 11/04/05

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:10:15 +1300

laclac01@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to use PXE to boot a machine with no hard drive.
> I am at one point but I am stuck.
> Currently I have DHCP TFTP PXE and NFS all set up and running.
> The machine uses dhcp then tftp and finally pxe to boot. It loads my
> kernel
> But I am not sure as to what my paramets should be in my config file
> for pxe to tell it where the rootfile system is. The root file system
> is on my nsf server 192.168.0.1
> My pxe config file currently consists of this
>
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append APPEND ip=192.168.1.1 console=ttyS0,19200
> initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram devfs=nocompat init=/linuxrc rw

not sure if this is much help but my LTSP client has the following for its pxe boot script.

prompt=0
label linux
   kernel bzImage-2.4.19-ltsp-1
   append init=/linuxrc rw root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd-2.4.19-ltsp-1.gz

> This is the error message I get currently.
> NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k
> block-major-1, errno = 2
> VFS: Cannot open root device "ram" or 01:00
>
> So how can I get it to look on my nft server in the /home/minilinux
> director?
could you mount it using nfs and then root-pivot?

> Thanks

sorry for the vague answers, it's been a while since i played with this stuff :)

if you havn't done so already i would look at the linux terminal server project,
it may provide some useful pointers..

chris.

Relevant Pages

  • PXE boot from X4100 - Solaris 10 11/06
    ... I am having real problems getting Solaris 10 11/06 x64 booting from PXE ... # Start off by initialising DHCP ... enable PXE boot by creating ... This E-mail is from IPC Media Ltd, a company registered in England and ...
    (SunManagers)
  • (BlueBottle) Network Boot Thoughts
    ... I have booted a MS DOS 6.22 environment, FreeBSD, and a tiny "hello world" program of my own devising. ... So I am poised to take another small step toward a network boot diskless bluebottle system. ... It seems to be built on layers of other stuff, all of which seems to be more and more homework and firmly pre PXE epoch. ...
    (comp.lang.oberon)
  • Re: sdi2hd works in cf?
    ... to use SDIMgr you'd need to boot (over PXE?) an XP/XPe/PE based image with scripting enabled. ... I recall sdi approach had an issue while laying down the image with SDI tools. ... "How did you manage to run it under XP/XPe? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Booting a CE device over the network
    ... We boot DOS thru pxe but it is thru linux ... There's UDP support, DHCP support and TFTP server support (TFTP client ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • pxeboot with IBM x335: failure
    ... I'm trying to boot an IMB x335 server via PXE. ... BIOS drive A: is disk0 ...
    (freebsd-stable)