Re: PXE and booting from NFS server

From: chris dewbery (chris.dewbery_at_millentech.com)
Date: 11/04/05

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:10:15 +1300

laclac01@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to use PXE to boot a machine with no hard drive.
> I am at one point but I am stuck.
> Currently I have DHCP TFTP PXE and NFS all set up and running.
> The machine uses dhcp then tftp and finally pxe to boot. It loads my
> kernel
> But I am not sure as to what my paramets should be in my config file
> for pxe to tell it where the rootfile system is. The root file system
> is on my nsf server 192.168.0.1
> My pxe config file currently consists of this
>
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append APPEND ip=192.168.1.1 console=ttyS0,19200
> initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram devfs=nocompat init=/linuxrc rw

not sure if this is much help but my LTSP client has the following for its pxe boot script.

prompt=0
label linux
   kernel bzImage-2.4.19-ltsp-1
   append init=/linuxrc rw root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd-2.4.19-ltsp-1.gz

> This is the error message I get currently.
> NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k
> block-major-1, errno = 2
> VFS: Cannot open root device "ram" or 01:00
>
> So how can I get it to look on my nft server in the /home/minilinux
> director?
could you mount it using nfs and then root-pivot?

> Thanks

sorry for the vague answers, it's been a while since i played with this stuff :)

if you havn't done so already i would look at the linux terminal server project,
it may provide some useful pointers..

chris.