Re: Smallest distribution to connect to a MS VPN server

phhs80_at_gmail.com
Date: 11/10/05

Date: 9 Nov 2005 15:05:27 -0800

> There is a lighter weight liveCD called the lnx-bbc which used to be
> able to have programs added using something like apt-get on debian. I
> am unsure how it did what it did. As far as I know it still boots a 2.4
> kernel and it has a light weight blackbox type window manager.
>
> Another way perhaps is to download the iso image you want and try to add
> the pptp client binary files when you mount the iso using a loopback
> mount and then reburn the iso image to CD after. I've done similar
> things with redhat's kickstart floppies but not with a complex liveCD.
> You could also just use the "pon" command on a debian system to launch a
> pptp session. I've done it both ways; using the graphical client and
> the pon command line program. I think it was pon at least since that
> seems to be what I remember the most before switching to openvpn.

Thanks, Michael. I learned meanwhile that SLAX (a modular live CD) has
a module for pptp, which is able to establish VPN connections with MS
Windows servers. To simplify the process, a script (to work together
with pptp) is being written. Probably, pptp client could also be easily
installed on SLAX.

Paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help With MPD as pptp client
    ... Help With MPD as pptp client ... I can successfully connect with mpd5 and after manually ... configure mpd5 so that manual route intervention is not ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: PPTP client not working on 4.10-R
    ... and questions@ involving a PPTP client. ... which was to be a PPTP client. ... a PPTP server on the same LAN, even though that PPTP server was ... it can be a security risk. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: PPTP client not working on 4.10-R
    ... and questions@ involving a PPTP client. ... which was to be a PPTP client. ... a PPTP server on the same LAN, even though that PPTP server was ... it can be a security risk. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: FreeBSD Mpd5 PPTP Connection
    ... I copy pasted example for a pptp client from the example file and it ... set link action bundle B1 ... set mppc yes e40 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: VPN error 678
    ... make sure that the PPTP clients establish the ... the server to the interface that receives the connection attempt. ... the public network interface receives the connection attempt in this ... If your PPTP server is running Windows 2000 SP4, and a PPTP client tries to ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)