Re: Replacement for Media Player Classic?

Jef Driesen wrote:
I'm slowly migrating from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 5.10). And for most part everything is going very smooth, except for playing media files. On windows I have always used the very powerful Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/).

What mediaplayer should I try? This are my most important requirements:
* Clean and functional GUI (no fancy skins).
* Can play all DVDs (and supports all features like menus, navigation...).
* Can play all file formats (MPEG4, WMV, MPG just to name a few).
* Supports subtitles (in separate files like *.srt).
* Easily to customize settings (like audio volume, repeating,...).
* Can reuse existing windows when launching another mediafile from another program (eg file manager, webbrowser).

And optionally
* Simple playlist
* Customizable keys

Any suggestions?

Mplayer can do most of those things and kmplayer is a frontend for it in KDE, so if you install your distribution, make sure to include it... :-)

And if you are looking for a program to play MP3's, Amarok is a bit like Itunes.

Wimmy

  • Replacement for Media Player Classic?
    ... And for most part everything is going very smooth, except for playing media files. ... On windows I have always used the very powerful Media Player Classic. ... Can play all DVDs ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Missing Codec?
    ... When I open Windows Media Player from my desk top icon, ... PowerPoint is belly up since I can neither play old ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Video Error with Xbox 360 Extender
    ... - Did you check the Application, System, Media Center, and Security Event ... corresponding to the time that you tried to play TV? ... Is this a clean install of Windows Vista, an upgrade on top of Windows XP, ... "Video Error with Xbox 360" in particular look on this site and also ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Video Error with Xbox 360 Extender
    ... try play also get the Video error."). ... I can play the sample wmv files that come with Vista on the xbox ... without problem but any other files I try play also get the Video error. ... Is this a clean install of Windows Vista, an upgrade on top of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: XP support for Old Epson Stylus Color II
    ... Plug and Play in the BIOS should actually be set to NO or DISABLED as per ... You might also try setting the LPT setting to EPP. ... Plug & Play OS was set to Yes. ... Booted up Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)