Re: virtual CD drive - how to?

Bill enlightened us with:
> Yes, I am fairly new to linux - how does one setup a virtual drive
> to install CD programs so that the programs run off the hard drive?

Make an image of the CD (dd) and then mount it as a loopback device
(mount -o loop).

Sybren
Frank Zappa

  • unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed
    ... cleanest possible install. ... ran netinstall off floppies accepting all defaults: still unable to mount ... booted the Linux box from the hard disk into the testing Debian distro, ... allow me to turn off shadowing for either the video BIOS or the main BIOS. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: device packages?!?
    ... to create and mount the filesystem itself: ... (This will add a /cdrom stanza in /etc/filesystems, the AIX equivalent ... cdrfs is also the AIX equivalent of Solaris pcfs filesystem.) ... If necessary, install missing stuff with: ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Resizing Partitions, Losing Windows XP...
    ... install applications ... Could I do a dump of my current FreeBSD ... to mount the partitions read only. ... now to restore there are better ways to do it but this ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse]
    ... Mount fails with some stupid error. ... intuitive and informative apps like Synaptic. ... dependency conflicts I just let it install. ... If you don't install Zen Updater openSuSE ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed
    ... Have you ever successfully installed Debian before or is this the first ... Subject: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel ... Knoppix loads fine and the resulting system can mount and explore the ...
    (Debian-User)