Re: which is the most respected Linux certification?

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:32:55 -0600, Dan C wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:43:13 -0500, Notgiven wrote:
>
>> Funny. I've installed FreeBSD on a test box and am working on it. But
>> in order to get from where I am to where I want to be, I need to be on a
>> path - that is where I need some help.
>
> What do you need help with?

LPI is a good generic certification. But certification is a tool, and you
pick the best one for the job. Employers want to be told what they want
to hear. Some want Redhat, some want LPI, and some want real experience.
Comparing cert's from a dorks point of view, I have to say that the redhat
RHCE lab exam is the most complete. Like a real test- it tests you hands
on, in a lab.

I'm not a fan of written tests, mostly because booksmart
people are a got damn plague on this society. I personally want a person
with practical knowledge/experience and then the extra intuition that
makes them a razor- rather than somebody who has passed a test. The
way I look at hiring is this: If I were trapped in an enclosed cylinder
filled with water, would this person be able to save me out before I
die? Booksmart people fail here. And this is the real world. So, I
prefer hands on tests in whatever field.

But, you aren't applying with me. You have to see what employer that
you want to work for wants, and give them that. A safe bet would
be the LPI- it covers all linux's equally. For corporations that can only
stand to pronounce one vendors name at a time, then Redhat cert's are what
they'll probably want. It's the best tool for the job in the area of
linux certification. This is just my opinion.

you could just trek through all of the tests and collect the whole set.
Maybe you'll learn something, maybe not- but it'll get you passed HR in
either case.

ER

  • Re: another jerk in my mail box
    ... to Microsoft's WHQL certification, then its just a meaningly marketing ... and doesn't really guarentee any more than that the drivers ... RedHat used to have a very large lab staffed ... to certify that a piece of hardware would run with RedHat's ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [OT] Celebrate with me...
    ... LOL. ... I think it is a different RedHat... ... Hey youse guys - don't be trashin' the Red Hat Society. ... translate your certification into dollars at a new place. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)