Re: Which Linux Distubtion do you use..

Walter Mitty said something like a ...

> All Linux is compiled from source. What do you mean?

Fine question. Some distros are binary-based and others by source.
Source-built systems, e.g. my Gentoo, is compiled for this machine
specifically. Since the code is for this setup, the code can be leaner as
it is not required to be a "One size fits all" install.

> There is rarely much speed improvement to be made by compiling your
> own kernel IMO.

Dunno about your kernels but mine are <1.7 MB with only 5 modules running
and 32 procs at CLI.
--
BlackTopBum
You don't skateboard?

  • Re: attention whiskers, humble, rowland, sarah and anyone else into Linux....
    ... True enough - but you might well have to do the compiling and whatnot ... If the program is popular and you use a popular 'distribution' of Linux, ... distro - that's if the program isn't on the installation discs already. ... Why *BSD? ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Bands on an EEE PC
    ... I have tried the compiled linux install ... This is almost certainly an issue about libraries. ... the simplest in terms of library deps) and try compiling it. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: Undeletable file. Im stumped.
    ... I take it you never compiled Linux before? ... No user compiling is involved in running a Live CD, ... choose to have the live distro use the Windows swapfile or not if found. ... I've worked with plenty of older LiveCDs, ...
  • Re: How do I install this missing library?
    ... Peter, I have to concur with Random Penguin, on this one: ... you could do worse than the Linux Documentation ... the Makefile for that source code tree, ... the classic set of steps you do in compiling codebases from ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Nice way to run the SBCL in the Windows 7 environment
    ... If you have experience compiling programs on linux, compiling from source code is not only very doable, but you get an up-to-date version. ... look at the INSTALL file for directions. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)