Re: OT - What is the proper netiquette?

Johan Lindquist wrote:
So anyway, it was like, 14:14 CET Feb 22 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Jason was all like, "Dude,

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

[..]

I want to make files available by ftp.
I want a web site that I control.
I want the flexibility of running my own mail server.
I want to host my own domain.
Etc.....

None of which are legitimate reasons for a home user to be running
servers.

Pray tell, why?

I think the reasoning behind why home users dont need and shouldn't be running the above has been covered more then sufficently.

If you still don't grasp it my having to explain it once more, most likely not as good as the other folks who have explained it previously, won't matter.

  • Re: issue resolving name of my own domain
    ... being able to reach my own web site when I type ... - I am not able to send any emails through my mail server. ... need to use Internet mail in your client. ... emails (although it does allow me to receive emails using the IP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re-directing mail from our SBS
    ... We have a mail server that does our mail and web site (which is off site due ... This then sends mail to our SBS. ... that somthing needs to be changed to the Exchange active directory which will ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Finding the users ISPs outgoing mail server?
    ... and have your web server send out the mail.) ... control everything rather than relying on the user's ISP for anything. ... and they probably have a mechanism to detect filtered SMTP ports and react by relaying ... through the ISP's mail server. ...
    (comp.mail.misc)
  • Re: Custom Validator Only Fires OnServerValidate When Data Exists
    ... Our mail server is went down about an hour ago. ... >> Now somewhere in your solution you will need to define the control. ... >> My solution is tempasp, so the namespace for all my files in tempasp. ... >> protected override bool EvaluateIsValid() ...
  • Setting up a 2nd email account
    ... If I want to SEND OUT from my Outlook, so that it looks like I’m sending ... email from my web site, (for example my emails will show myname@mydomaun.com ... In Outlook>Tools>Email accounts it shows LOGIN INFORMATION, ... that is Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)