knoppix at place of work

although there are no rules where i work about using the computer for personal business...
i do not think it a good idea to setup any personal accounts on one of the computers.

(i usually come in early and would just want to check my email
and the newsgroups)

anyway, i figured the knoppix boot disk would be a good solution...

knoppix booted up fine and i can browse the internet with no problems...
however when i go to setup the news reader *some* of the newsservers require a user name and password...
although when running from my own home...that is not necessary.
but even if i do use the name and password for my own account...
it's rejected

of course the isp at work is not the same isp i use at home
but i thought i should still be able to log on the any news server i wanted to...
but only some of them will allow it.

what's the deal?
.