Re: Dual boot with Windows

Senor Osito wrote:
I'm keen to learn linux. I've downloaded the Ubuntu live CD, it works fine on my laptop. So I've downloaded the installer CD.

My problem is that I don't want to lose my Windoze partition - work makes it neccessary.
The disk is currently just one 60GB primary. Ideally I'd like to split into 2 X 30GB.

I have about 15GB of data on the machine, I really haven't got time / I'm too lazy to back it all up to CD.The important stuff is regularly backed up, but there's a lot of other stuff on there that's handy but not essential. I'd prefer not to lose it if I can resise the partition ...

Is there a tool that I can use to partition the disk without killing the Windows partition - something like the old partition manager, or presizer.exe that Toshiba used to have on their website years ago..?

Asking here because I expect someone might have done the same in the past..

Thanks for advice

welcome!

1) note carefully that *any* changes to partitions is like major heart surgery. Plenty of very sucessful examples, but the risks exist and are very real and there is no going back (with partitions, anyway), without a good backup. I find that even apparently trivial data becomes familiar. Loosing it sometimes has been problematic. In my opinion the risks are small, (after (2) below) but they *do* exist.

2) Windows does not look after itself very well. Before doing surgery, scandisk fully. Then defrag. I always defrag a second time also. The objective is to minimise problems with moving partitions etc. (no going back, etc etc)

3) I have installed a number of dual boots and all have been easy. I was a bit surprised initially with linux that it is important to actually *read* the information text or options etc (!), unlike with windoze, where I had got used to just saying yes......... I caught me out a few times! Be aware.

4) one decision you may need to make is the size of the linux partition. I use at least 10 GB, usually more. The default will probably be ok but consider what space you need for your future work.

5) Partition naming in linux is different from windoze naming. Same partitions though. If they are different sizes it is less initially confusing.

6) Ubuntu comes with a partition changer, like many major distros.

7) PCs are very cheap lately and older ones are often discarded free. With at least 256 MB RAM, even an old PC is ok for a patient beginner (I have a number). One point of this para is to say you may then consider backing up the data from the laptop to the (spare) PC. This implies a possible different initial strategy of course. Personally I found this the preferred method.
--
ac
.