Re: Newbie looking for a distro... x86 what?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<pan.2006.06.25.01.23.51.696047@MyComputer>, Ed H. wrote:

M$ also made a version of Windoze for the Alpha.

And it sold as well as Internet Exploiter for Unix (for Sloaris). Both
were developed after Linux was supporting the Alpha.

It wasn't until AMD and Intel developed and released 64bit processors that
Linux was developed to work on said processors.

You might want to spend some time on google groups - Intel was doing
development work on the ia64 using Linux long before it was released
to the public. Go feel around through the ChangeLog files for the kernel.
They were using both their own compiler as well as gcc. I think Intel
learned from the Linux support/response to the 'F0 0F' bug back in
early November 1997. If you look hard enough, you _may_ even find the
Red Hat work on the ia64 _a_full_year_before_ the chip was released.

Old guy

  • Re: Winmonitors are here!
    ... and partly for political reasons - Free & Open Source Software as an ... A lot of the development work taking place on Linux based systems is ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: UV10 on Linux
    ... >I am trying to do some development work with Linux and Universe and have ... >downloaded the free trial of UV 10 for Linux. ... >the file size limits in this trial version? ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Python editor/IDE on Linux?
    ... development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu. ... pida (exists as a ready package on Debian as derivates like Xubuntu) ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: IronPython-0.6 is now available!
    ... > experimentation but not for serious development work. ... This is exciting news. ... Has any one tested this with mono 1.0 on Linux? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • UV10 on Linux
    ... I am trying to do some development work with Linux and Universe and have ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)