Re: How could Linux save PC Games

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:09:52 +0000, Rob Pollard wrote this:

Have you tried Linux?

Most gamers use their PCs for other tasks. I use mine for recording music,
software development and astro processing. Linux simply does not have
quality software available for it. Linux also does not have a tightly
integrated OS resulting in allsorts of usability issues....

I use Linux for almost everything and XP just for gaming and the
occassional app that doesn't have a Linux equivalent, like Alcohol120%.

As for others implying most games aren't written in C++ I would say they
have never seen a single line of source code from a commercial game. I
have seen a LOT of game's source code and for some bizarre reason :-)
they are all in C++ using the direct-x api....

  • Re: Flame Bait! Windows vs: The Unices
    ... > This isn't software development, ... Okay, well I do about zero database work, but last I recall there ... probably longer than Linux has been around. ... simply replicated Windows functionality in open source. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Linux questions
    ... We are trying make decisions around Linux. ... Which distro is best for software development Redhat or SUSE (We only ... Every major distro has all the tools you'd need ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: 9.1, not for me yet
    ... >> Consider a user with some cheap hardware running ... Linux is a very ... internet, mail, fax, fone and software development (mainly C and C++, ... I do _not_ install 3rd party crap which claims to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: New computer planned
    ... He knows I use Linux. ... On the software development front, I use the programming language Algol 68, which is a high-level language. ... And, more recently, I now have a web-site with more than 150 pages for the book, as well as a manual for the software development system I use. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: You guys should give linux a try
    ... > you is curious and have standard requirements then I suggest you give ... >From a software development point of view, ... Linux offers dozens of variants. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)